Can I Change Address and Still Drive the Car Under my Dad's Policy?

pluto

Ok long story short, I got into an accident. My name was not listed under the insurance under my dad's policy and i live with him so the insurance company penalized us to pay for the last three years. I'm 21 now and have been driving for 3.2 years.

So after all the headache and getting the car fixed, insurance company made my dad sign the exclusion form for me. When my dad tried to enroll me into the policy since it would be only $1000 more a year instead of me paying 4 times that if i were to get an insurance solely under my name. But the insurance rejected it.

fyi car is toyota camry 2012 and that car is under my dad's name but I pay for it and drive it too because I got a lot better rates financing the car under his name.

Now I can't afford $4000 a year for car insurance. Nowhere close! So what i thought was if I just switch cars with aunt, i would be fine but I don't wanna take her mercedes. So dhen i thought if I change my address to my aunt's and say I don't live with dad at all and dad tells insurance to not exclude me, would i still be able to drive dad's car without my own insurance? I mean it would be pretty much like a friend driving. And I don't drive the car that often maybe once a week.

If you are excluded by name, it doesn't matter where you live.

I suspect the only way he is going to be able to keep the policy is if you are excluded. Him telling them you are moving and he doesn't want to exclude you is going to be a huge red flag. They would have to be beyond stupid not to realize what is going on.

They would find out and why take the chance and ruin dad or another family member financially if you have an accident. Have your dad look at other companies if he wants to still carry you on the insurance.

You can also look into a non owners policy.

Once the accident/claim has occurred, the insurance company wants to know the relationship of the driver to the policyholder and if they live in the same household as the policyholder. They also want to know if the driver has their own auto and insurance coverage and/or if the driver has access to/drives any of the vehicles listed on the policy regularly. If you had your own auto and insurance, they would ask for proof so you wouldn't necessarily have to be listed as a rated or excluded driver. Changing your address to your aunt's residence and driving the vehicle once a week is more than frequent enough that you will have to be listed as a driver or excluded on your fathers policy. You can physically drive the vehicle as an excluded driver but it will be just like driving around without insurance coverage for you, coverage would not be provided if an accident occurred. Also, if you change your address to your aunts house, there is a very good chance that her insurance company will find out and want to know the exact same thing/s. They will ask if you live in her household and if not, they will ask for proof that you live elsewhere. If proof can't be provided, you would be listed as either a rated or excluded driver on her policy. It's going to be cheaper to be listed on his policy or you can try getting a quote on a named non-owner policy. Some companies will not write the coverage or will list additional interests due to the vehicle being titled/registered in his name. Hope this helps.

A non-owners policy won't supercede an exclusion and would likely be for minimum limits even if it applied. Your dad is probably ahead to just look for a new carrier that will write the whole family together. Anything else is material misrepresentation of the risk and likely to void the contract.

So dhen i thought if I change my address to my aunt's and say I don't live with dad at all and dad tells insurance to not exclude me, would i still be able to drive dad's car without my own insurance? I mean it would be pretty much like a friend driving. And I don't drive the car that often maybe once a week.

So you're asking if it's possible to say, on paper, that you're living with your aunt, while still physically living at your parents', and then drive their car?

That'd be fraud or, at best, misrepresentation.

Like others have said, if your dad wants to keep it all under one policy, he needs to go find a company that will do that.

All that said, I thinks there something in the story you shortened up that is the reason the company won't write you.

So you're asking if it's possible to say, on paper, that you're living with your aunt, while still physically living at your parents', and then drive their car?

That'd be fraud or, at best, misrepresentation.

Like others have said, if your dad wants to keep it all under one policy, he needs to go find a company that will do that.

All that said, I thinks there something in the story you shortened up that is the reason the company won't write you.

I believe you're right. My experience has typicallybeen if it turns out there was an unlisted driver and they have an accident, the company reauires the deuver to be rated or excluded, and moved on.

Only exception I can think of is if the OP's prior record would disqualify them under the carrier's guudelines, and the agent wanted to keep dad on a standard policy so only offered exclusion instead of rewrite?

Back