Can Insurance Company Put in Used Stereo Amp After Fire Damage?

OldGeorge1950

Expert
Can Insurance Company Put in Used Stereo Amp from eBay After Fire Damage?

I was cleaning up all the junk in the back of my car's trunk prior to dropping it off at the bodyshop for repairs. While I was back there, I lifted up a rear panel to where there was fire damage from 3 or 4 years ago.

During that small fire, the factory stereo amplifier was destroyed. My insurance company replaced it and it had worked fine since then. I had assumed that they just got and exact same one from the dealer or some other company. I never looked at it because it was behind a panel... it worked, so I never bothered.

Imagine my surprise when I saw that the amp was indeed the identical factory stereo amp, but it was a well-used one from eBay. It even had the eBay seller's name and eBay item number on it. I went on eBay and the same seller is still selling junkyard car electronic parts.

Thanks to Google cached pages, I found that eBay page for the amp. It was only $120. Compare this to the list price of $1700 from a Mercedes-Benz dealer.

My question is this.... can insurance company do this? I know they can use generic new parts.(non factory) However... old parts from eBay?

The repair was totally handled by then insurance company(GEICO). The adjuster arranged for a flatbed to pick up my car from my home and it was delivered back to me a week later.... so I had no idea where it was actually repaired/installed.

Last edited:
The insurance company can require a used part or it could have been the repair facility cutting a corner. The insurance company only has to restore the vehicle to like condition not better.

Last edited:
Did it work like new? Or actually, did it work as well as it did before the fire? That is all an insurance company is usually on the hook to do unless you pay additional premium to only use OEM parts.

What you described is reasonably standard practice.

Dan

Re: Can Insurance Company Put in Used Stereo Amp from eBay After Fire Damage?

Insurance company is giving claim for accidental situation. They are complete investigation and will give claim.

:)

Back