Can my Insurance Cover the Damage caused by an Unlisted Driver?

Hello Dan,

Thank you so much for your reply! My friend is visiting me currently. The car accident happened on his way to a supermarket. He drives my car around once a week since he moved into my apartment around one month ago. My insurance adjustor thinks he is a regular user of my car.

Also, my adjustor thinks my car is a total loss. I just got my car last year.

Thank you so much! I look forward to your reply.

Loh

Weekly use will usually qualify as regular, routine use, though if you have something to show he is living with you temporarily, then it might be okay.

It is going to come down to actual policy language. Limitations on permissive users isn't in a standard ISO form auto policy, but are in a LOT of actual policies. This is where who the coverage is through and what policy you have can make a big difference.

In general, the reason the language is generally modified is to prevent someone with a very bad driving history from not being listed on the policy and still being covered by the policy. I've seen this happen many times.

A temporary stay with a friend usually does not trigger a permissive user decline, though the problem will be establishing what is considered regular and routine.

Dan

Back