Can We Be Forced to Purchase Auto Insurance?

arnguy

Guru
5000 Post Club
This is not to give any credence to that poster named "mileena," but Tom Corbett, the AG of PA, who is going to run for governor on the Republican ticket is joining other attorneys general in a suit against the administration regarding forcing the purchase of health insurance. His rationale is that it is unconstitutional to force anyone to buy a product. Using that legal thinking, how come it is OK to force drivers in the Keystone State to buy auto insurance? Just sayin...:skeptical:

In Cali they suspend your auto registration if you dont have
insurance and a $14 fee you gotta cough out to the
DMV to get your regs reinstated.

This is what they do in PA as well, except it's a $50 reinstatement fee. The insurance companies report to PENNDOT who's insurance has been canceled and they will suspend registration/plates.... and if it goes long enough they will suspend your license.

In Cali they suspend your auto registration if you dont have
insurance and a $14 fee you gotta cough out to the
DMV to get your regs reinstated.

Huge difference.
Driving is classified as a privilege, not a right. To obtain that privilege, you have to prove that if you damage somebody elses property, you can pay to have it fixed. You are not required by any law to insure your property for driving. Yes, if you have a loan, the bank will require it, but not the state.

We have now declared health INSURANCE as a right, not a privilege. But this right comes at a cost that you can't ignore. Personally, I would feel better if access to health CARE was a right, but that isn't how our legislatures decided to do things.

So, I can non-op my car and not have insurance. If I cancel my health insurance, does the federal government now cancel MY life registration????

Dan

Huge difference.
Driving is classified as a privilege, not a right. To obtain that privilege, you have to prove that if you damage somebody elses property, you can pay to have it fixed. You are not required by any law to insure your property for driving. Yes, if you have a loan, the bank will require it, but not the state.

We have now declared health INSURANCE as a right, not a privilege. But this right comes at a cost that you can't ignore. Personally, I would feel better if access to health CARE was a right, but that isn't how our legislatures decided to do things.

So, I can non-op my car and not have insurance. If I cancel my health insurance, does the federal government now cancel MY life registration????

Dan

Good points Dan, but to take it a little further... We are now giving away health insurance to people and making them dependent on the Govt. The Govt doesn't supplement auto insurance for poor people... Guess what will probably come next.

There is a great You-Tube video of a lady saying, and I paraphrase, "If obama is president then I don't have to put gas in my car".... We are almost to that point.

Back