Car Hit While Backing Up in Apt Parking

erca

Hi, I need help to understand what should be done in below scenario --

I was backing up my own Car which was parked in Apt parking. While backing up, my car hit another car standing perpendicular to my behind. The guy had parked the car at wrong place and was loading this stuff. Due to this, he opened the rear door and that door had dissect my car's trunk. My car's trunk got severe damage. His car was from rental and had minor misalignment issue while closing the rear door. No stretches on his car.

Now, I am not sure how to handle this situation?
Also, what should be my car insurance company would handle this?

Any guidance will be great help. Thanks!

I am not an expert here but it seems like there could be a few issues on fault. Did he open his door while you were backing up? If so, he is probably to blame.

Either way, I don't see why your insurance wouldn't help you with this matter and handle it.

If his car was parked, even if not legitimately, this will be deemed your fault by the insurance company. Not a big deal, but just the way it works.

Call your insurance company, they will take care of it, including the rental car the other guy was driving.

If you have collision coverage, you will pay the deductible to get your car fixed.

Dan

Back