Car Insurance / 3 Months / No US Citizenship

canta

Hello all:),

We (2 friends (19) and I (18) want to do a roadtrip (about 3 months) and therefore we need to buy a car. We all are from Germany (so we have a German driver license).
I wonder if it is possible to insure the car (value about 4000 $) for those three month and how much it would cost approximately.
We would have a home adress in the US because my family will stay there for at least three years, my father will work in Ann Arbour for this time. A answer would help me a lot!

Thanks and regards Frederik

I would reach out to a local agent in your area. An independent would be best bet as I don't know many captives that would want that risk.

if the car is titled and registered in your name in the state you reside you will be able to cover it for physical damage. Progressive will write with foreign drivers license. At least here in Minnesota they will

Whether it’s purchasing the right auto protection or discovering the best charge card, individuals need a simple approach to comprehend and think about money related items on the web. Truth be told, in terms of purchasing auto protection, 80% of drivers think they’d locate a superior approach in the event ...

Whether it’s purchasing the right auto protection or discovering the best charge card, individuals need a simple approach to comprehend and think about money related items on the web. Truth be told, in terms of purchasing auto protection, 80% of drivers think they’d locate a superior approach in the event ...

Welcome to the Forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
Frederik, as Indiana_Adam said, an independent agent should be able to help you with this. There are several companies that will provide insurance for people with foreign or international drivers licenses. Find an agency near whatever your home base will be (I assume that will be where your family lives) that works with many insurance companies and they can probably find you a policy.

Cost wise, that's going to depend on a lot of things. I did one recently for someone with an international drivers license, minimal coverage (and no coverage for the car itself) and it was $500 roughly for 6 months. With coverage for the car it would probably be double that. You get a bit of a surcharge because they can't confirm your driving history. You're younger though so it could very easily be more than what my client paid.

You're younger though so it could very easily be more than what my client paid.

I'm afraid it's going to be a lot higher than that. in addition to the adding comp and collision, and their ages as you mentioned, what's really going to cost them is the fact that they're in Michigan.

They couldn't have picked a more expensive state to buy auto insurance in. That's because Michigan has outrageously high requirements for medical coverage.

for three months coverage, it wouldn't surprise me if you're looking at between $1000-1500.

They couldn't have picked a more expensive state to buy auto insurance in. That's because Michigan has outrageously high requirements for medical coverage.

for three months coverage, it wouldn't surprise me if you're looking at between $1000-1500.

Ouch. Remind me never to move there. Owning an agency there might be profitable though...

Yep. MI is the only state that requires guaranteed unlimited lifetime benefits. The auto insurance co has to cover the first 530k in injuries. A state mandated catastrophy fund kicks in after that. This catastrophy fund cost drivers $189 per vehicle per year that is added onto the insurance premium. Adding that in addition to having 530K in medical coverage.... Very pricey!

Last edited:
Yep. MI is the only state that requires guaranteed unlimited lifetime benefits. The auto insurance co has to cover the first 530k in injuries. A state mandated catastrophy fund kicks in after that. This catastrophy fund cost drivers $189 per vehicle per year that is added onto the insurance premium. Adding that in addition to having 530K in medical coverage.... Very pricey!

Yikes as an insured that would suck as an agency owner could be nice. My guess there is a lot of shopping around in Michigan

Back