Car Insurance Cancellation

bizzle187

Hi everyone.

So I'm in a bit of a tricky spot. My car insurance policy is about to expire this month with BelairDirect. I know for a fact that they will cancel my policy, so I have two options:

1) Cancel Proactively, which will make my insurance cheaper with the next company I go with
2) Wait to see if they actually check my drivers abstract.. I had heard that some companies do it every 2 years, some every year upon renewal

Option 1 saves me a smaller amount (insurance companies will dock you for having your policy canceled by the previous company
Option 2 ---assuming they somehow don't cancel---saves me THOUSANDS if I can remain at my current insurance company. My insurance will increase by $140 per month with the new company (I obtained this information through a broker). Currently I pay about $120 per month :-(

I declared to them when I signed up that I was in an at-fault accident, which didn't make my premiums too crazy. However, since then, I was convicted of 2 Major charges, that they are blissfully unaware of at this point. I understand these will SKYROCKET my premiums.

Any advice would be much appreciated... I was in an accident that was a single car accident, did not involve drinking or negligence, it was an unfortunate situation where I was chased by idiots and almost lost my life. So please, I would ask that you refrain from making harsh comments about how I am an ***. I am a good driver with no speeding tickets in the last 5 years. It was simply an accident, and was only my fault because it was a single car incident. The people who chased me and caused it got away.

----------

So this forum is pretty much a wasteland eh?

Sometimes its a wasteland. To be honest, its hard to understand what you are asking..... but I'll see if I can help anyway.

First, how do you know they are going to cancel you? They usually send you a notice of non-renewal (they won't cancel you, just non-renew). If you haven't gotten that, then you probably will be renewed. If possible, check online.

When does your policy actually renew? If its not this month, then you are good till you get close to the actual policy renewal, usually every six months.

Major incident they are blissfilly unaware of? This would imply not needing an SR-22, which usually means not a moving violation, though not always.

Also, depends on the state, but usually the additional fee is for having a lapse in insurance, not a non-renewal. Non-renewals happen for a variety of reasons and as long as you have insurance in place that picks up the same day your current policy goes out of force, it probably won't cause a rate increase for an insurance lapse.

Dan

Back