Car Insurance Policy from Other Country

jesko

ex: I am Italian citizen. I have a car insured in Italy, but car insurance policy was bought online from Insurance company registered in Ireland (doesn't have branch office in Italy).

QUESTION: If accident happen what is the insurance practice in this case. How they are dealing with claims? If accident happen in Italy, does the Ireland insurance company have some way to see how the accident happen. How is regulated this situation. Maybe if you know some documents to recommend me about this theme. I would be very grateful.

Last edited:
To be honest, I'm not sure anyone here will know. The simple answer is to call the insurance company and ask them.

Dan

I suspect that it works there about the same way it works here with the states. You need to have insurance in the state of residence. I also live close to the Canadian border and some of my clients have moved across that border both ways. Each time they have to get insurance in the country (and state or province) they are now living in.

If the company finds out they are living somewhere else, they will cancel the policy.

If there is an accident and the company determines that you were being dishonest in some way by not disclosing where you live, they will probably deny your claim.

Dan said it right. Call your insurance company or your insurance agent and ask them, you will get the accurate answer from them only.

As you are resident in the Italy then you MUST have insurance from a Italy provider. If your car is registered in another country then you cannot get Italy insurance, and you cannot get foreign insurance either as you must be resident in that country.

WOW, this is still around,

To make it easy, it pretty simply.

Have them go to the DMV and get a U.S. license, you might have to insure them as no prior insurance, in 6 months, you dwitch them to a different carrier with prior insurance.

Problem solved.

Back