Car Insurance Trying Not to Pay Claim!!

iPlatinumz

Hello,

I have an auto insurance policy with Progressive insurance that is valid from 6/6/14-12/6/14. A few days ago, I had went to Geico for a quote and found out I could save almost $70 a month for the same amount of coverage so I told progressive that I didn't want to renew my policy (My geico coverage starts 12/7/14). Just my luck, somewhere around 12 AM this morning on 12/6/14 (the last day my "paid-in-full" policy should be valid), I hit a curb that messed up one of my wheels and needed to make a claim.

Now, Progressive tells me that they don't think they should have to approve the claim because even though my policy is dated 6/6/14-12/6/14, I cant file a claim on 12/6/14 after 12AM. ARE YOU SERIOUS!? I would think that I should have until 11:59 PM on 12/6 to file a claim if needed. Their Policy Services department tells me that if I want to make a claim I should pay to renew my policy, but I told them I shouldn't have to since my policy was paid-in-full and I should be covered.

If they do not approve my claim, should I go to the Ohio Department of Insurance about this or is the insurance company right?

Let's back up, how mich damage did you do to one wheel? It's possible that filling a collision claim will raise your premium more than they pay out.

Does the policy list the exact time it starts and/or ends? In NY they always started at 12:01 am.

Yeah. Typically a policy expires at 12:01 am on the expiration date. So if Geico didn't start their coverage until 12/7, then you didn't have any coverage on the day of 12/6. Of course an agent would have educated you about that, rather than buying insurance from a talking lizard.

Let's back up, how mich damage did you do to one wheel? It's possible that filling a collision claim will raise your premium more than they pay out.

Does the policy list the exact time it starts and/or ends? In NY they always started at 12:01 am.

The repairs would cost $1100. ($500 ded.)

If they don't pay the claim they are probably doing you a favor.

I agree. even though all you did was hit a curb, a paid claim would show up as an at fault accident on your CLUE report. that will affect your rate for at least 3 years with some companies, and 5 years with other companies.

not worth the $600, in my opinion.

----------

Yeah. Typically a policy expires at 12:01 am on the expiration date. So if Geico didn't start their coverage until 12/7, then you didn't have any coverage on the day of 12/6. Of course an agent would have educated you about that, rather than buying insurance from a talking lizard.

exactly right on both points. furthermore, Ohio is a state that does random insurance checks on 1500 vehicles per week..... had they pulled one of iPlatinumz's vehicles on 12/6, his/her license would have been suspended for three months.

an agent would have advised you to start the new policy on the 6th instead of the 7th. but a direct company like the talking lizard doesn't have agents. they only have CSR's and salespeople, and many of them aren't smart enough to alert you about these kind of things.

How does GEICO rate a lapse of less than 30 days? I know carriers all treat that differently, and I'm almost wondering if they purposely gave him a 1 day lapse to keep him from being successfully shopped by someone else. I couldn't tell you how often I see 1 or 2 day lapses between prospects' terms, and wonder how often that's done to prevent customers from going somewhere else. Dirty trick IMO.

Dont know about the talking lizard but Allstate will allow you to have a less than 5 day lapse in coverage- and keep the best auto rates...line 10 instead of higher indemnity rates at line 19

How does GEICO rate a lapse of less than 30 days? I know carriers all treat that differently, and I'm almost wondering if they purposely gave him a 1 day lapse to keep him from being successfully shopped by someone else. I couldn't tell you how often I see 1 or 2 day lapses between prospects' terms, and wonder how often that's done to prevent customers from going somewhere else. Dirty trick IMO.

I never looked at it that way. that would be a dirty trick if they're doing it intentionally. But I don't believe that's what is going on here for two reasons:

1. it wouldn't be very effective, as most companies wouldn't care about a 1-2 day lapse. some companies even let you go up to a month with a lapse, and still offer the full prior insurance discount.

2. it would create more problems (E&O liability) than it would be worth.

I think it's more about the customer, and not being educated about expiration dates.

Back