Car Not Yet Registered with Insurance Company

Cauliflower

My son bought a second truck about 58 days ago. He lives at home (20 yrs old) We pay his insurance, and have been with our company for many, many years (decades), always covered, always up to date. My son is listed on our policy as a driver in our home. However, I neglected to add his 2nd truck to our policy. Just brain farted. This morning he got in an accident by rear-ending a car. Clearly his fault. We met with the driver at our house, and we are all waiting until the morning (Mon) when I file a claim with my insurance company. My question: Will my son be covered because he is listed as a driver on our policy, even though the 2nd truck was not on record with the company (we own the truck). Either way, we will stand behind repairs, etc, out of our own pocket if necessary. The people seem very nice, but I am still very worried about ongoing potential medical claims (whiplash, back pain, etc)?

Generally in most states, you only have so many days after purchasing a vehicle. Usually 15-30 days. If it isn't added in that time frame there is no coverage. It would be a way out of paying for the insurance company. Especially if they feel they may be on the hook for a settlement to compensate for the possible long term injury.

Like Jlanier said, depending on the state, there is a grace period for adding new autos. If you have passed this period, than ultimately it's up to the insurance company if they are willing to cover it. Hopefully you got a good company.

If you've really been with this company for decades and have a good history with them, they may let you pay the back premium (back to the purchase date of the truck) so they can cover at least the liability portion of the claim.

It can't hurt to ask.

Back