Car Totalled - Geico Insurance - Adjuster Settlement Options?

Lisaann,

first and foremost let me thank you for your insight and responses, I appreciate them. There seem to be quite a few shills here..my guess is old farts that have nothing better to do then spew useless waste, and post in between checking their mail 2 dozen times throughout the day.

Thanks for all your help Lisa....a lot of what you wrote didn't really benefit my case but I'm a realist and as long as the information is useful one way or the other (good or bad) I appreciate it. I didn't feel right calling you as I didn't want to take up any of your personal time...just the offer you made shows what kind of character you have and Karma will work itself in your favor if it hasn't already. Thanks, again, Lisa.

Now with that being said, I have some GOOD news to update. Being that I knew I didn't have much leverage with my position without endorsements for my custom parts, I focused on the pristine, pre-existing condition and told the aduster how I would go about proving my car's exceptional pre-accident condition. Honestly, just from our conversations, I could tell he KNEW from seeing undamaged parts of my car that I wasn't embellishing. There may of been 3 weekends TOTAL the last 3 years where I did not wash my car, and every other wash I did the interior with a Mopar all purpose cleaner.

Anyway, after some in depth conversations, he finally agreed to adust some figures and I've just reached a settlement that is very reasonable! I did my homework from kelly, edmunds, and Nada, and the settlement is more then fair with the adjustments that were made. I received about 1k for my custom parts. Even though I know the aduster didn't have to credit me for any of them...I feel very fortunate to get anything there. And if that isn't the clincher.

Because I never disrespected this guy and dealt with him in a professional manner from the beginning...AFTER we settled, he said you know what...I'm gonna extend your rental until July 30th!!! Obviously I was/am stoked...now I have plenty of time to get another car situated without the pressure of not having one. This guy obvioulsy didn't have to do that and as I said, I ended up getting a VERY reasonable settlement anyway. When they say "what a difference a day makes"..they aren't kidding!

The car i'm renting under the insurance is pretty nice too...2010 Challenger...so the aduster is maxing out the 30 days $50/day Rental for the full 30 days/ $1500. No complaints there and after it's all said and done I am more then satisfied with Geico and unless they cut me for my first ever accident, I'm not going anywhere. Hell, I may even go find that Gecko and shake his tongue. :1wink:

You are lucky.
@ arnguy,
I completely agree. I've learned and read enough here from people who did attempt to post meaningful information that I fully understand that I am lucky. I was certain I'd be dumping Geico after this was over and gladly at that...now I would feel guilty dumping them...I just can't. God willing something like this won't ever happen again, but if it does, I'll be much more prepared for the next rodeo.

TotalD,

That is FANTASTIC!!! I knew it would work out for you! You did exactly what you needed to do and it sounds like the adjuster really considered the information you provided. A good adjuster listens and does what he can to settle the case within the policy provisions.

You focused on the condition of the car and not so much on the aftermarket parts. Value is always negotiable, coverage or lack thereof, is not.

Good job! I've been in the same position as that Geico adjuster only on the bodily injury side of things. It is always satisfying when a settlement can be reached. :yes:

Take care,

lisa

Someone have a bad day?

I certainly hope you don't talk to your clients and potential clients that way. While the message may be right, the delivery is anything but. Why don't you chill out a bit and come back and try again.

I dropped Geico after I was involved in a no-fault accident where I was entering a parking lot and an *** backed into me damaging the my right rear passenger door. The *** insisted that the police come to the scene. The officer laughed and refused to make a report stating that we should work it out between ourselves and our insurers. Fortunately, it was not a lot of damage. I reported it to the geko since it wa written direct. Geico would do nothing about it inasmuch as they demed me to be equally at fault. Of course, it defies the law of physics to even consider that my vehicle was able to move sideways and impact the other vehicle' left rear bumper. That was enough for me to switch to Erie and have a live P&C agent.

Tis a case of "It's your own stupid fault" where the said *** got lucky.

You took insurance into your own insurance-illiterate hands and played with fire. Do you even know if you have the appropriate liability coverage? Thank god you're not facing an at fault claim with only 5k property damage coverage, or 15k liability. Having gone through this insurance mess don't you want to consult with a local professional to explain your insurance up/down/left and right? You only messed with 1 of 100 potential insurance nightmirrors and got lucky.

All this time you've spent with online posts could have been avoided HAD YOU OF WORKED WITH A REAL LIFE AGENT. Because guess what Mr. ill-informed consumer, your car should have been insured with a company that agrees upon a value of your car. A company that focuses on people who like to spruce up their new mustangs, corvettes, chargers, etc.

Instead, not knowing what you dont know, you just called some companies 1-800 number or visited their website. The funny part is, you now think GEICO did you some "favor" They simply adjusted your claim accordingly considering the circumstances.

You, like many moron consumers, enter into a service or product with your own expectation of how things should work...then when things dont go the way you just stupidly assumed they were supposed to...it's suddenly the other parties fault. GEICO handled this exactly as they should, you sir, are an ***. You sir, give credit to the wise phrase

"the bitterness and hastle of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price"
WOW! If you consider the consumer a MORON, I'm wondering what you are! Your post was totally uncalled for and insulting to the original poster, to me, and I'm sure anyone else trying to learn something here!

YOU, my Dear, are why some may choose not to have an AGENT. No offense to the decent Agents that gave their advice. Most of us on this website are here to help each other and learn. Not to cast stones.

BTW, I was a Litigation Insurance Defense P & C adjuster for over twenty years for one of the top three P & C carriers in the country. Now I'm an Agent.... Are you? Act like one then please!

@ LIsann, thanks again for all your help..as I said I truly do appreciate it. The same goes for the real contributors of this thread...i've helped ppl on forums many times in the past in other areas...so I appreciate the assistance here.....to such a MORON like myself. :twitchy:

I do have to admit I realize I am lucky but wouldn't the real moron be the person driving around with NO INSURANCE at all? You hear about pro athletes and ppl all the time getting pulled over and don't have auto insurance...how insane is that when you have those types of assets especially.

As I stated before Price or a 800 number wasn't what made me choose Geico because from what I knew and read they were at least respectable in many ways but they were NOT the insurers offering me the lowest rate. The rate was very competitive but I could of gone through a broker and saved about $20 a month had I gone with an umber of other insurance companies.

At the beginning of this process I contemplated cutting Geico when it was done, but after it was all said and done the smoke cleared I received a very fair settlement and still received something for my non-endorsed after-market parts. In addition, after the settlement was made/accepted by me, the adjuster EXTENDED my rental for the full 30 days while I seek a new vehicle! They certainly did NOT have to do that and they were very reasonable throughout.

Furthermore, from the time of the "total" to the time I was offered a settlement -- it was approximately 2 weeks! 2 weeks and this was WITH the 4th of July holiday weekend! What more could I really ask for? If I asked for a full amount or anything absurd with no-endorsements on my policy, who would be the one irrational?

Geico was more then fair with me and from the time my car was totaled on June 30th, til the time I received my settlement check...it as roughly 2 weeks and I couldn't be more pleased with Geico as a whole. I do admit there was some negotiating there, but as I said already..it's like buying a car...you're not just gona walk in and get what you want. If it's reasonable you're gonna have to work at the number. It was the same thing here but Geico made it easy. I'm not going anywhere anytime soon..that's for sure.

I'm usually full of smart remarks but TotalD has a very good reason to be upset in this case. I don't think he got lucky in this case. TotalD did his homework and provided proof as to what he believes is reasonable so he should feel proud of his accomplishment.

Back