Cashing Out Hail Claim

Usaf006

I recently received minor hail damage on my truck. The damage isn't very noticeable unless someone's really looking for it. The damage included the hood, roof and one tail light. The total estimated damage was $1803.19 with the $500 deductible. My truck has been paid off and our plan is to eventually trade it in and get a truck that tows more since we have a travel trailer but that might be a year or 2 away. What I would like to do is cash the claim out right now and use the $1300 to pay some debt off. My question is if I cash out will this claim close out? I live where hail is common and if it happens again can I claim it and only pay the deductible next time it gets hail?

Truck
2008 Ford F-150 FX4

You can cash the check and keep it, but if there was hail damage again then you'd need to prove the repairs were made before they would pay out for it again.

Josh is correct. They will only pay for additional damage, not for the original damage again. In the case of hail, pretty much if the roof, hood or taillight are involved, they won't pay for it.

This includes if its damaged in a different way. For instance, if you total the car before its fixed, then it is worth around $1800 less then it was before the hail damage, unless you have it fixed.

You would be surprised how many people get into 2 accidents in the same spot on a car in rapid succession. They only pay to get the car fixed once. Yes, the insurance company makes out a bit, but, at the same time, your car is fixed. If it wasn't this way, fraud would be RAMPANT. Crash - check - cha-ching, keep that one, Crash again - check - cha-ching again keeping it, Crash a third time, get the car fixed. Heck, you could pay off all your bills if it worked that way :) Yeah, I'm not suggesting that is what you are suggesting, just explaining why it works the way it does.

Dan

Back