Check this Out: Teen Drivers, Multi States Issue

INSUREGEEK

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
Ohio
My brother recently got married. His wife maintains a home 5 miles away (for legitimate logistical reasons), but it is across state lines. She has 2 teen drivers. They are licensed in her state (KY) but they drive cars owned and titled to my brother in our state (OH).

The cars are insured in OH because he owns them. The kids are listed on momma's policy in KY because that's where they are licensed.

I warned him. He wouldn't listen. I told him to sign over the titles and let momma bear deal with it. No....he was determined to keep the titles. Cause, yanno, these kids won't wreck the cars :D And it's cheaper to add 2 teens as part time drivers to her 1 car policy than it is to add them as primary drivers to s one car for every driver policy.

Now the been-licensed-less-than-a-week teen has totaled a car that belongs to him. It was the kid's fault. Now they are both screwed. He'll make a claim on a totaled car...his insurance rates will go up. Her insurance WILL find out because the kiddo was cited, and her rates will go up.

Just an FYI. Be very careful about arranging coverage for youthful drivers.

Last edited:
Update:

The OH policy has paid out about $4200 on a Collision total loss claim, and has reserved $15,000 on a PD claim for the car she hit.

The KY policy is taking all of the BI/PIP, for now. I am guessing they did this because both drivers were KY PIP, whereas we have Medical Payments in OH. Three people went to the ER in ambulances. I believe everyone got stitched up OK and are back to normal....so no serious injuries that I am aware of at this time.

As an agent and my brother's business partner, I'm anxiously awaiting renewal notices.

Back