Claim Help for Total Loss

Lightpost

Hey Guys Long time lurker but now needing to get some help. I am a 15 year agent with a disgruntled client. The client had a total loss on his vehicle due to fire. The carrier made a first offer...client rejected ( I agree the carrier missed some things) Carrier made another offer & client disagreed. The customer at this time asked if I would talk to the carrier for him. I got the carrier up another 1250 by pointing out the clients relationship with carrier, his " book value" that he obtained & sent in, other factors, etc, etc, etc.... I informed the client of the carriers new settlement offer & he rejected it Vehemently! I know that sometimes the client are unhappy with the settlement offers but Geeeez . I am trying to figure out another approach to the carrier to see if I can get them to "sweeten" the offer now. The offer on the table now is a just offer in MY opinion & now I am just trying to get the client to either see that ( not Likely ) OR try something else to get the settlement offer higher. Any ideas ? any ideas of how to get a higher offer? I hate to lose a client over this. Thanks !

Ask your client what $$$ he/she wants and to write/tell the justification for that price point. You may get addition insight into their thoughts or if they can't make a case for a larger number, they may come to realize that the last offer they received may be a fair deal in deed.

At some point, clients think they can ask for more money and in fact, you have shown this is exactly what he can do. Everytime he has asked, he has gotten more. I would ask (demand) more as well.

Problem is, at some point, you top out. You are probably there. Pull some listings in the area for the car, is it really undervalued? Try to get sold values, not the sky high ones some people ask for that they never get. Do they line up at all? You have to make adjustments for various factors, but you'll know if its reasonable.

Get a copy of the settlement report. See what is incorrect on it, if anything. Sounds like you are already past that though.

You've likely lost the client already. I wouldn't go to many extra miles at this point.

Dan

I agree with RF... the insured needs to make a demand and support that demand. I think the next step may be for the carrier to poke holes in the insured's demand to get the insured to see their point of view.

At the end of the day the offer is the offer. The carrier should make the payment and then close the claim. If the insured feels that they did not live up to their end of the contract then he/she can files suit against the carrier. I'm not saying the carrier is correct but it appears that they have considered the insured's information and moved up from their offer because of this. Has the insured ever lowered his/her demand?

First off everyone- thanks for the help. I AM afraid that the client is mostly out the door. I think that he has submitted his valuation & supporting Docs. directly to the carrier. IMO , to be honest, I think the offer is fair but the problem is that the client has now done 2 things..(A) they are no longer thinking objectively & it has now become to personal. & (B) they threw down a challenge to carrier by stating they would not accept the offer & would retain an atty. That is NOT the way to win friends with a claims office ! That is the reason that I talked with claims because the carrier basically said to take your best shot. I was involved trying to diffuse the situation however, that is not working out the way I had hoped. The current standoff is such that my thought process is to call the carrier & express to them that the client has rejected their last offer (w/o the additional language LOL)...See if there is any more blood I can get out of the proverbial turnip so to speak. Then either with or without a new offer go back to the client with a " this is the best I can do for you" & tell him that if he feels that the carrier has negotiated in bad faith that he can take that up with them in a legal manner and the state DOI. I hate to lose a client but sometimes there is no negotiating with folks ! :no:

This is one of those where you can't win. Its just a matter of figuring out how to lose less.

Not one of the better situations of being an agent.

Dan

Sometimes one loses clients through no fault if their own.

what are the supporting documents that your client submitted to the carrier?
KBB value or comparable vehicle price on the local market?
if your client provided reasonable documents then I understand he being outrageous to get his right back.

I had a client once say to me, Well, I didnt come out ahead in this ordeal...............:goofy::no::swoon::nah:

Back