Claim Question About Rock Damage

jonjonbear

Hello all,
I have USAA insurance on my 2013 Kia Optima. A while back my car was hit by a piece of asphalt that was thrown up from a semi truck and it hit my hood and the corner of the windshield. The spot on the hood was a small indentation with the paint chipped out, about the size of a dime. At the time, the windshield looked fine except a tiny piece chipped off the edge and and small bit of paint on the pillar. To save money I decided to try to touch up the hood myself. As hard as I tried it just doesn't look good. I never in my head thought this would be enough to even consider claiming but when I took it to the body shop, they quoted me almost $700.00 to fix the hood (the woman said my repair would have made no difference since the entire hood has to be repainted because the car is pearl white). Now to top it off, now that it's warming up the windshield started to crack from the spot it was hit. I am afraid to call the insurance company and tell them of this, first because it happened a few months back, and what will they do considering I tried to fix it? I tried in good faith to save everyone money. Will this attempt void my ability to claim this? I Have done other touch ups on the car that turned out perfect so I had high expectations and also didn't expect the windshield to be involved. Also, would this sort of damage be considered comprehensive? Thanks for your time and assistance.
John

Back