Claim Question

PhilL

Guru
100+ Post Club
Anyone have any thoughts as to how to respond to this one?

An 'excluded' driver, while enroute to a convenience store, picks-up a hitch-hiker. Leaving the engine running while in the store, the vehicle is stolen by stranger. Can the comprehensive claim be denied, citing excluded driver?

Did the excluded driver contribute significantly to the loss while the vehicle was under the care custody and control of the excluded driver?

Seems the answer is yes, which means yes, the claim can be denied.

Then there are the other questions about the hitchhiker, picking up a stranger, leaving the car running, etc. Sounds like it was a theft by design, if I was a conspiracy theorist.

Dan

Did the excluded driver contribute significantly to the loss while the vehicle was under the care custody and control of the excluded driver?

Seems the answer is yes, which means yes, the claim can be denied.

Then there are the other questions about the hitchhiker, picking up a stranger, leaving the car running, etc. Sounds like it was a theft by design, if I was a conspiracy theorist.

Dan

Or if you were a remotely experienced adjuster looking into the claim.

Alternatively, the insured could just report the vehicle stolen and leave out the details. If the insured wasn't there, how could they know if the keys were left in it while running?

Alternatively, the insured could just report the vehicle stolen and leave out the details. If the insured wasn't there, how could they know if the keys were left in it while running?

Careful now!

That's where claims adjusters nail these people. They not only want very specific details, but they also want the insured to re-tell the story on more than one occasion (like Judge Judy says, if you lie you have to have a great memory). They're getting good at tripping people up. If they lie about the details when asked, they've crossed the line of fraud. If they come back and say "Well my agent suggested I should say this"...... you've got a big problem!

JMO, I'd be very reluctant to report this if I had ANY issues in my background, particularly recent. Large debts, getting behind on payments, or other recent issues.

I would think they would turn your life upside down over this one. It is just way too fishy.

Back