Collision...Advice Needed Immediately.

anwartheravian

Hi,

Last Saturday, I parked my car at the side of the road (at legal parking place), and I was making a call, another car driver came very fast and hit my car from the back. My car and his car were totally damaged, but luckily we both remained uninjured. He accepted responsibility, I took photos of his insurance and drivers license, and called 911. They said, if no one is injured and other driver hasn't fled the scene, you can call your insurance companies to settle the claim, there is no need of police to come. I called my insurance company, as it was late at night, the voice message said to call in business hours.

As mine was an old car, the responsible driver said he is willing to buy my car right now, if I'm willing. I said Ok, he paid me in cash, and I transferred the car to his name on the same date. I took pictures of the transfer title and immediately filled the online DMV release of liability form. He towed both cars from the scene on his own expense to some location.

I didn't call my insurance next day, thinking there is no such need, as the matter is settled amicably. Anyway, today I checked my mailbox, and there are two letters from the other drivers insurance, that they want to contact me regarding the investigation of the accident, and if their insured is found liable, they'll pay the cost of repair. Letter also said, as the investigation can take indefinite amount of time, I have the option to process the claim through my insurance.

As it was the first time I had an accident, I made two critical mistakes I think. First of all, while I took images of other driver's DL, and insurance card, I didn't take pictures of the accident scene, and secondly I didn't inform my insurance about the accident.

Now I have few questions:
1. What should I do next? Should I call my insurance company first, or just call the contact number given in the letter of other persons insurance company's representative.
2. What should be my recourse, if the other driver doesn't accept responsibility now, and somehow make the story that he was not responsible. (As I don't have pictures of the scene)
3. Can my insurance company say they are not obliged to deal this case, as I didn't report the incident to them?
4. Is there anyone else I was supposed to inform about the accident like DMV?

I know it may look like a routine case to you, but I'm terrified to death, as I'm just a young international student here, and I don't have enough money to either pay the other party (in worst case) or to fight the case in courts. And I don't have any family here to deal with such cases.

Please explain in detail what should I do now.

Any answers will be much appreciated.

Thanks.

It is standard procedure for their insurance company to call you. Answer their questions and let them know that you do not need to file a claim with them at this time. If they ask why, just tell them you sold the car.

Do not bother to call your insurance company since you are not filing a claim with them either.

The other party made a mistake in paying you for your car upfront. He should have let the insurance company handle it, but oh well. This really doesn't matter to you at this time.

You are done. You do need to return the call, but beyond that, no issues.

Dan

Thanks for the reply djs.

I called today the insurance agent who sent the letter. You are right, he just asked some details of the incident, and asked if I am not filing any claims then there will be no further correspondance. When I asked why you sent me the letter, he said it is just a standard procedure, and there is nothing to worry about.

Thanks a lot for provding the expert advice.

I feel much relieved!:)

Back