Commercial Auto for Horse Trainer

Thank you for all the information. I am an agent who writes farms and understands the horse business. I don't need help with access to markets for trainer liability (for those who don't own their premises) or farms (for those that do). I was looking for a quick fix on an auto policy because every carrier was declining and I did not yet have the trainer liability quoted (and those companies won't write a standalone auto - it must be packaged with the GL). Since no one has apparently quoted the standalone auto, no further responses are necessary. I was able to place them with a carrier while I am working on their liability.

Soaringagent: I gave a description of the risk earlier in the thread - no driving people for a fee but rather hauling horses (sometimes for a fee & sometimes included in the training rate):

"Profession is horse trainer which means that on occasion they will haul horses that are in training with them to a show. Sometimes this is done for an extra fee and sometimes is included within the training rate or the rate charged by the trainer for the extra work at the show (all are different).

They aren't a commercial horse hauler that you would hire to haul a horse from point A to point B but rather it is the trainer hauling the horse to a show with other client horses (and maybe their own) and then back to the barn."

I have clients that tow the trailer with a small semi or with a large pickup truck. But unless they own their own farm where they are operating, I have no market to quote the auto (and the market that I have is not competitive with other direct carriers). Most horse trainers are operating out of someone else's barn. Progressive will write but they are super expensive. I have not found any other independent carrier and have had to refer my clients to State Farm. I'm hoping that other agents might know of similar risks so that I can try to form a relationship with a carrier that will write this kind of risk as I have alot of potential leads if I can find a carrier.

Liberty Mutual (formerly Liberty Northwest, their commercial arm)) used to have a cool farm program where you could write a small BOP type policy that would get you access to their Auto.

Get creative. Your trainers are renting space from other farms/businesses. If a carrier wants a companion policy.....surely there's some property or equipment that needs covered to couple with some premises-only GL? If the cost of 2 policies is less than that Progressive auto - why not?

F150 - see post above - referred all of these risks to State Farm but am trying to find a carrier so I can keep the clients in house.

InsureGeek - have tried to get creative, but when underwriting comes back & wants a more detailed description of the the Insured's operations (nothing these guys do will fit a BOP description nor proper coverage), it results in a decline unless they own the property & we are writing a farm package (even then, Liberty declines because they will not write a horse operation - nor will most other carriers). I have 2 carriers that will do this kind of commercial auto if I also have the entire farm, but for those who operate from someone else's premises, the 2 carriers I have that write the trainer GL risk do not have an auto risk.

I am really only interested in information if someone knows of a carrier that will do standalone commercial auto for a risk that is hauling livestock

Back