Commercial Auto for Horse Trainer

ShannonO

Expert
Anyone know of a carrier that will write a standalone business auto for a horse trainer? They are not a commercial hauler but because they do haul client horses to shows they don't fit on a personal auto policy. Have a couple of clients that don't have a "property" package to bundle it with (which some carriers want). Seems silly to me that I can write a standalone business auto for a landscape company but not one for a farmer...

Anyone know of a carrier that will write a standalone business auto for a horse trainer? They are not a commercial hauler but because they do haul client horses to shows they don't fit on a personal auto policy. Have a couple of clients that don't have a "property" package to bundle it with (which some carriers want). Seems silly to me that I can write a standalone business auto for a landscape company but not one for a farmer...

details!

So they pull a horse trailer or what

Profession is horse trainer which means that on occasion they will haul horses that are in training with them to a show. Sometimes this is done for an extra fee and sometimes is included within the training rate or the rate charged by the trainer for the extra work at the show (all are different).

They aren't a commercial horse hauler that you would hire to haul a horse from point A to point B but rather it is the trainer hauling the horse to a show with other client horses (and maybe their own) and then back to the barn.

Vehicle is too large to go on a personal auto policy for business use (it's a small Peterbilt that is licensed an an RV). But both trainers I'm trying to quote don't have a "farm" to package the auto with - they are operating on the premises of another business.

I am frustrated that if these same people were hauling gravel or rocks or landscape sod or something similar that I have several carriers that will write. But because they are hauling horses, no deal (even though I'm not asking for any cargo coverage on the commercial auto).

My underwriters have all declined at this point because of the "exposure" - so I'm asking if any agents out there are aware of any companies that will write a standalone commercial auto (neither of these trainers has a ranch property to insure as a package) for this type of risk.

They should have a policy to cover, the horses they train. what happens, if the client claim the trainer, caused the horse to break a leg etc. Or when loading the horse it bolts, running into traffic, and gets hit by a car, injuring the passengers, killing the 100k horse, totaling the 50k mercedes. paint a picture.

Working on trainer liability - just having trouble finding a carrier that will write an auto policy. Found one finally - all others have declined due to horse exposure.

They need a Farmowners policy so they have the proper Liability coverage for the Horse Training. Contact International Excess Agribusiness at 800.937.3497. They are a Farm Insurance broker that can help with all the coverage you need. They will probably set you up with Travelers Farm Division.

Back