Complete Silence from Insurer As Renewal Date Approaches

dash1729

My auto insurance with Geico in Washington state. I'm wondering if anyone has had a problem where they don't hear from their insurer at all as the expiration date of the policy approaches and it is time for renewal. That is--there has been no quote or offer of a renewal, but there has also been no notice of cancellation or non-renewal. Just complete radio silence.

At this point it is only about 20 days from the expiration date so we seem to up against the deadline where they are supposed to make their decision one way or the other on the renewal under WA state law. What can I do in this situation? Researching this on the Web there is a lot of information as to what to do when you get either a quote for a renewal or a notice of non-renewal--but I've seen nothing for the situation where there is no communication at all from the insurance company. That seems more unusual.

I'm not aware of any situation that would have caused them not to renew but even if there were aren't they supposed to give formal notice that they aren't renewing?

Have you called them? Did it get lost in the mail, is your email correct, did you log onto the website and see if there is a renewal?

I can understand being distressed for not receiving the renewal or notice of non-renewal. However, you have gotten to this point without knowing one way or the other. The best course of action is to take action and contact Geico. I doubt they are intentionally keeping you in the dark, it is most likely a breakdown in communications.

I have no idea what the requirements are in Washington for notification, however 20 days out does seem a bit tight.

Yes I did contact Geico via their online contact form. They responded, acknowledging that they haven't acted on the renewal yet, but promising only to give me more information by the expiration date (but not necessarily any sooner). Of course a physical document could always get lost in the mail but logging in via either the Web or their app makes it clear as well that there has been no action on either renewal or a decision not to renew.

The time limit in WA state does seem to be 20 days--as a new member here I don't seem to have permission to post a URL but the relevant statute is RCW 48.18.292 and the following is a quote from that statute:

"Each insurer shall be required to renew any contract of insurance subject to RCW 48.18.291 unless one of the following situations exists:

(a) The insurer gives the named insured at least twenty days' notice in writing "

Don't be afraid of the phone, it is your friend.

Call. And then just get to talking with whoever you end up talking with. Odds are you can find out more or they can get someone else on the line who can help.

As to why nothing from them, I can't help you.

I like to do my homework before calling. The telephone is NOT my friend if the person on the other end of the line in a phone call has more information than I do.

the person on the other side of the phone isn't going to care how many statutes you can recite. All they can do is look into why you don't have a renewal there is no skin off their back if you go uninsured.

Do yourself a favor and find a live agent.

----------

the person on the other side of the phone isn't going to care how many statutes you can recite. All they can do is look into why you don't have a renewal there is no skin off their back if you go uninsured.

Do yourself a favor and find an agent you can visit with in person.

What Hesse said.

Treat the person on the other end of the phone nicely and you will be amazed what they will do for you. Your job here isn't to be more knowledgeable, your job is to get the information you need. No statue is going to tell you why Geico has done what they've done. But the person the phone just might if you sweet talk them enough.

Sorry if I've come to the wrong place. I had thought these forums were representative of the views of both agents and consumers but it now looks like the perspective may be primarily that of agents. I didn't say anything about becoming uninsured. But as a consumer the more effort I have to make to resolve this, the more I would consider going with another company. If I have to try multiple different methods to contact a company before finally getting through--when by law I'm supposed to have already been informed of the status of my renewal--online, phone, in person--eventually I may decide it is easier to switch companies.

I agree that I can't force them to listen if I "recite statutes" but at the same time they can't force me to stay with them if they make renewal too difficult and they have competitors who make life easier for me.

The responses you got, were slanted towards helping you solve your problem. Agents are generally very good at solving problems with insurance companies and should not be seen as "feared" or even biased towards the company view.

Your avoidance of making a (generally simple) phone call... contributes to prolonging the problem... and we can't fix that for you.

But, as you said, you are (obviously) free to choose to do business with another company.

Sorry if I've come to the wrong place. I had thought these forums were representative of the views of both agents and consumers but it now looks like the perspective may be primarily that of agents. I didn't say anything about becoming uninsured. But as a consumer the more effort I have to make to resolve this, the more I would consider going with another company. If I have to try multiple different methods to contact a company before finally getting through--when by law I'm supposed to have already been informed of the status of my renewal--online, phone, in person--eventually I may decide it is easier to switch companies.

I agree that I can't force them to listen if I "recite statutes" but at the same time they can't force me to stay with them if they make renewal too difficult and they have competitors who make life easier for me.

I responded to you in another thread. After reading this thread, it's easy to see that unless you get the answer you want...you think you're being treated unfairly.

You came here for advice and you got it. Pick up the phone and ether call Geico, or call another company and switch! You're in good hands with State Farm.:yes:

Back