Comprehensive Claim Filed As Collision

chromo

Good Afternoon everyone, I am posting here as a last resort to get some help/ advice with a very tough situation I am in.

Two years ago, I was driving through a poorly drained parking lot during extremely heavy rain and my cars engine sucked up some water. I had it towed home and after several attempts to start it, it finally started but was vibrating a lot.

Took it to a shop, they told me two rods in the engine were bent and suggested getting a replacement (used engine). Before I went through with this claim I called my insurance company, and my local agent several times before I made my decision to use my insurance (I was willing to pay out of pocket).

Everything went smooth.. until a couple months later when I got my new policy which was significantly higher. I called the insurance company and the person I spoke to said it was due to my collision claim. Long story short I have tried speaking to people within the company and they said there is nothing they can do.

I am at a loss at to what I should do because it is affecting my rates by over a thousand dollars.

Long story short, car never has actually hit anything or been to a body-shop, yet a collision claim is on my record costing me a lot of money.

Thank you in advance

Easy answer.... there are 7 (if I remember correctly) _named_ perils that are considered comprehensive losses. What you mention does not meet any of those. So now we look to see if collision coverage would even apply. I doubt you are going to argue as them extending collision coverage as otherwise it's not a covered loss.

Collision is correct as your vehicle ran into the water. As mentioned above, the only other option would be deny coverage on your claim and not pay anything.

ok, wait, lets get the facts straight here....

YOU drive thru a lake/flooded parking lot....
The insurance company appears to be paying you THOUSANDS of dollars for your, lets be honest, Stupid move.....
Now you are complaining that they raise your rates for honestly, being stupid.

In AZ, we have whats called a "stupid motorist law", yes, thats the name of it, so people get charged what it costs to rescue them from these flooded areas....

So before the mods throw a fit, calling this move "stupid" is completely acceptable!

I believe that water damage is covered under comprehensive coverage unless there is an exclusion in the policy. When you had the claim see what type of deductible you paid. Deductibles for comprehensive are often lower than collision.

Auto Insurance Claims: Car Engine water damage, brand new cadillac, flood vehicles

I don't know that a random post from a person who works at a body shop is a great source.

What Is Comprehensive Auto Insurance - Allstate

"Simply put, comprehensive coverage protects you against damages to your car that are the result of covered perils not related to a collision. Think of a scenario that could cause damage to your car that has nothing to do with striking another vehicle. In many cases, this can include:

Theft
Vandalism
Fire
Natural disasters like a hurricane or a tornado
Falling objects
Damage done to your car by animals
A civil disturbance, like a riot that results in damage or destruction of your car"

Your vehicle collides with a wall and the bricks from the wall fall onto the car. Collision loss as the proximate cause of loss was the collision with the wall. In the OPs case the vehicle collides with water. The water then seeps into he vehicle. Odd, bu correct. Comprehensive perils are more of things that are beyond the owners control. Running into water is not.

I don't know that a random post from a person who works at a body shop is a great source.

What Is Comprehensive Auto Insurance - Allstate

"Simply put, comprehensive coverage protects you against damages to your car that are the result of covered perils not related to a collision. Think of a scenario that could cause damage to your car that has nothing to do with striking another vehicle. In many cases, this can include:

Theft
Vandalism
Fire
Natural disasters like a hurricane or a tornado
Falling objects
Damage done to your car by animals
A civil disturbance, like a riot that results in damage or destruction of your car"

Your vehicle collides with a wall and the bricks from the wall fall onto the car. Collision loss as the proximate cause of loss was the collision with the wall. In the OPs case the vehicle collides with water. The water then seeps into he vehicle. Odd, bu correct. Comprehensive perils are more of things that are beyond the owners control. Running into water is not.

Todd I think you are incorrect on this one.

Does car insurance cover driving through flood waters?

http://www.wikilaw3k.org/forum/Insu...if-you-drive-through-a-deep-puddle-442676.htm

http://www.esurance.com/driving-tips/driving-during-floods

Here is what the Esurance (Allstate) site says:

After the flood
If the water from a flood made its way to your engine, there's a chance for serious damage. Water damage can lead an insurer to declare your car a total loss. If you suspect your car suffered water damage, don't drive it until it's checked out by a mechanic. The mechanic can check on the electrical components and let you know the extent of the damage.
If you have comprehensive coverage on your car insurance policy and your car's totaled by flood damage, your insurer will work with you on a settlement. This often involves a check for the ACV, or actual cash value, of your car at the time of loss.
If you drove through deep water (even 6" worth), you may want to get your car inspected for flood damage. If flood damage is confirmed, file a car insurance claim as soon as you can. A dedicated claims rep will walk you through the claims process.

Last edited:

Respectfully your statement from The link made the case. Flood relates specifically to a parked car in floodwaters. I've had these claims. This was a driver initiated instance that could have been prevented. It's not comparable to say; striking a deer.

Respectfully your statement from The link made the case. Flood relates specifically to a parked car in floodwaters. I've had these claims. This was a driver initiated instance that could have been prevented. It's not comparable to say; striking a deer.

Obviously you did not read what Allstate says above. They are referencing comprehensive coverage:

After the flood if the water from a flood made its way to your engine, there's a chance for serious damage. Water damage can lead an insurer to declare your car a total loss. If you suspect your car suffered water damage, don't drive it until it's checked out by a mechanic. The mechanic can check on the electrical components and let you know the extent of the damage.

If you have comprehensive coverage on your car insurance policy and your car's totaled by flood damage, your insurer will work with you on a settlement. This often involves a check for the ACV, or actual cash value, of your car at the time of loss.

If you drove through deep water (even 6" worth), you may want to get your car inspected for flood damage. If flood damage is confirmed, file a car insurance claim as soon as you can. A dedicated claims rep will walk you through the claims process.
----------

The damage in this situation has nothing to do with collision. The damage is caused by the engine actually sucking water up through the intact and the water hydro-locks the engine because water is heavier than gasoline. The engine dies and continuing to crank this engine will cause bent parts internal. Water doesn't have to be very deep if you have a vehicle that has an air intact located in a low to the ground position which occurs on a lot of sports cars. I saw a girl drive a 2012 Camaro through water approximately 16" deep, pushing water like a bulldozer, jump out of the car, and yell I made it when she got to dry ground. She was laughing until the engine which was still running started knocking about 30 seconds later. That was a $15,000 engine that was now junk.

Last edited:
Back