Consequences of Not Telling Your Carrier Your Car is Used for Job

nodyce

Let's assume a person gets a part-time job using their car (courier for example) and they fail to tell their insurance carrier. They then get in a non-injury, but still semi-serious accident while working,. If the insurance carrier finds out the accident happened during the course of employment, what would the consequences be? Do the consequences vary from state to state? Carrier to carrier?
Would they probably cover the claim, then drop you right away? Would they have the right to refuse the claim completely?

Thanks

Re: Consequences of Not Telling Your Carrier Your Car is Used for

denial of claim due to mis-representation.

It really does not cost much more to list it as business use

There are probably some carrier and state variances, but every policy I know of excludes courier (especially pizza and newspaper delivery) service use from coverage.

So, lets say you get into an accident while delivering a pizza, the carrier likely will not cover the event.

Dan

There are probably some carrier and state variances, but every policy I know of excludes courier (especially pizza and newspaper delivery) service use from coverage.

So, lets say you get into an accident while delivering a pizza, the carrier likely will not cover the event.

Dan

wow, sounds like a scam to me, you deliver pizzas for a living and they wont cover any accidents that result while "on the job"?

no wonder more people dont just stop paying for auto ins.

I'm sure most of us don't claim our automobiles "for business use". After all, if we had a wreck on the way to an appointment, it's kind of tough to prove we were on the job.

Actually, for insurance (and real estate) there isn't much of a rating difference. You can claim business use without to much worry.

Pizza delivery is one of those things where the carriers got very tired of all of the claims. You can endorse for it with some carriers, but they want to collect an increased premium for the increased risk. Makes sense to me....

Dan

Don't most of the larger pizza places supply coverage for their delivery drivers? A pizza guy once told me that his place did.

I haven't dealt with this in a long time, but most pizza places I know of provide liability coverage, not collision for your own car.

Yes, the pizza place is always on the hook for liability and property damage caused by the employees.

Dan

I'm sure most of us don't claim our automobiles "for business use". After all, if we had a wreck on the way to an appointment, it's kind of tough to prove we were on the job.

I bet most DO. Who wants to take that risk?

It's just a cost of business. Do it right or you may be real disappointed later.

They don't even have to prove that your wreck was on the job. Just that you used your car sometimes for work. If you deduct milage on your taxes, you would be exposed right there.

Last edited:
Back