Coverage

mejustme

First post. Thanks.

PD covg only Q, we back from our driveway and strike a dog. We are temporary living at the same address of the dog owner, our brother. Liab is not in question, we are at fault, the dog was chained, etc, that's not part of the claim. The sole question is does PD covg apply because of the living together address.

Is there potential PD covg?

I'd plan on paying it out of pocket.

Thanks.

Okay. I'm the auto ins low level guy. Dog is PD. Liab is established. What is beyond my understanding is law regarding striking a dog that you temporary live at that doesn't belong to you.

It's beyond my education. What is the law here?

Has there been a denial of the claim?

I suspect they're using a Care, Custody, Control exclusion. Since you live in the household with the dog, the dog doesn't count as PD to someone else's property.

Just a guess. There are a lot of unknowns.

First post. Thanks. PD covg only Q, we back from our driveway and strike a dog. We are temporary living at the same address of the dog owner, our brother. Liab is not in question, we are at fault, the dog was chained, etc, that's not part of the claim. The sole question is does PD covg apply because of the living together address. Is there potential PD covg?

Umm... Have you asked YOUR insurance agent?

Seems very unlikely that the insurance company would pay property damage in this scenario based upon these limited facts.

I recommend you make an inquiry to your insurer.

Of course it depends on the state; however, I would say most companies would consider you a household resident since you share the same address. Being that the dog belongs to your brother, he might check to see if his policy provides any pet coverage.

Back