Divorce ~ what to Do with Kids on Policy?

crosby1

So I'm going through a divorce. I have 2 kids in college (>100 miles from home). My ex wife will take one car, I'll take another and we'll each have separate policies.

The question is what do we do with the kids on the policies? If I take both on my policy, what happens when they're home for vacations, summer, weekends, etc and they want or need to drive her car? If she takes both on her policy, what happens if they drive my car?

If we each take 1 kid on our policy, what happens if that child needs to drive the other car?

What's the best way to approach this situation?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks very much.

John

Add both kids to both policies. Since they live out of state for college, call your insurance company and let them know. Most carriers will rate the premium less if the kids are in college and the car stay behind.

Add both kids to both policies. Since they live out of state for college, call your insurance company and let them know. Most carriers will rate the premium less if the kids are in college and the car stay behind.

Say I take child "1" on my policy. If my ex gives child "1" permission to drive her car, isn't he automatically covered on her policy? Same as if I were to let a friend drive my car?

Say I take child "1" on my policy. If my ex gives child "1" permission to drive her car, isn't he automatically covered on her policy? Same as if I were to let a friend drive my car?

The thing here is incidental. In this case, "child 1" is at your ex's house on a regular basis, so he or she will have access to the auto regularly; hence should be added. You may be able to get away without adding "child 1" when an accident happens with a standard carrier, but why risk it?

The way I would handle this is to add each child to one policy as a rated driver. Then have them added to the other policy as a non-rated driver because they are insured on the first policy. The policy they should be insured as a rated driver on is whichever one they will be driving a vehicle from most often (in other words wherever they spend the most time).

That's how we do it in WA but it might be different in other states. Ask your agent/company.

Whoever has primary custody, over 50%, the child needs named on that parents policy, since the kid lives in this household, they dont need listed on the EX's policy.

now if custody is 50/50 that changes things

Back