Documentation for Policies Placed Though an Insurance Broker

RoshniM

Hi,

I have been working for an insurance broker, wherein I have observed that the documents that we upload on the online portals of the insurance companies for motor insurance policies are not clear. Another thing I noticed is that the insurance companies so far have not come back to us for clear copies. I called a couple of them and was told that they do a sample check and in case there are any discrepancies they get back to us for clearer copies (which we don't have which would mean going back to the insured for the same) and I have not observed that they have gotten back to us. These documents would be the photo Ids, passport copies, vehicle registration cards showing ownership details along with the vehicle details based on which the policies are issued.

I have been told to ignore it since the insurance companies are not very bothered about the same. So is it okay for us to not upload and maintain clear copies?

Is it that the insurance companies rely on us for maintenance of the same or in case anything goes wrong it is their responsibility since they didn't check the documents?

Could someone please highlight the risks and issues that would arise for us as a broker due to non-maintenance of clear copies?

Honestly sounds like an easy issue to fix. Increase the resolution when you scan, then you won't have to worry about all if those other trivial matters.

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the reply. I agree to what you said. But the only issue is, in order to put that to my management I need to give them strong reasons to do so. Since like I said they don't care since the insurance company has not raised any issue yet. This is only specific to the documents that are submitted to the insurance company for motor/vehicle insurance. Other lines of business seem fine.

I'm confused, do you scan the files yourself? Do you really need approval to increase from 100 dpi to 300 dpi? It should just be an option on whatever software that you use to scan.

Oh! hahahaha...! Of course not! Just that our scanners are really shitty and no matter the resolution (has been tried) the documents still are unclear. So, to ask them to get a better scanner!

I see, I would advise them that you are concerned of being held liable for these issues if something were to happen.

I'm late to the party, but there IS an E&O issue here. When that million dollar claim comes in, and there's a coverage problem related to the documentation you have on file.......that's a big deal.

If you can't get a new scanner just take a pic of the documents with your cell and upload those. My phone gets me better pics than just about any other device I use.

Bonus trick - install a virtual pdf printer on your computer so you can "print" the pics as pdf files before you upload them. I use a program called BullZip. I plug in my phone, find the pic and tell it to print to BullZip....which really just converts the jpeg to a pdf you can save and send. Questions? Send me a PM.

Back