Double Trouble?

asdfjkl

My nephew was involved in a rear-ending MVC where his car was the "victim". Since the car was driveable he continued to use it while waiting for the police report and insurance company to make arrangements to get an estimate. The day before they were to get the estimate, my nephew backed into another car in a parking lot, this time being the one at fault. He only has liability coverage. A police report was taken for this MVC.

The second impact did not seem to cause any additional impact damage to his car's rear end. I've seen the car in person and pictures after both MVCs - there's nothing new.

QUESTION: He did not report the second accident to the first guy's insurance company (as it seemed fine) and took it in for an estimate for the rear-ending damage. Will they somehow find this out? AND what kind of trouble could this cause for him?

Thanks.

The question you have to ask is if the second accident caused any additional COST in the repair. If so, your nephew is responsible for the additional costs of doing that repair.

To put this in perspective, if the bumper needed to be replaced (refinished, refurbished, pick a thing) due to the first accident and then the second accident happened and the bumper still needed to be replaced, well, there is no additional costs and likely the insurance will chuckle about the second accident and pay the bill.

Now, if they happened the other way around, then the opposite happens. so if the at fault accident occurs first, then the rear end collision, the insurance company is responsible only to pay the additional damage.

Yes, adjusters can usually tell when damage is caused by separate collisions.

Dan

My nephew was involved in a rear-ending MVC where his car was the "victim". Since the car was driveable he continued to use it while waiting for the police report and insurance company to make arrangements to get an estimate. The day before they were to get the estimate, my nephew backed into another car in a parking lot, this time being the one at fault. He only has liability coverage. A police report was taken for this MVC.

The second impact did not seem to cause any additional impact damage to his car's rear end. I've seen the car in person and pictures after both MVCs - there's nothing new.

QUESTION: He did not report the second accident to the first guy's insurance company (as it seemed fine) and took it in for an estimate for the rear-ending damage. Will they somehow find this out? AND what kind of trouble could this cause for him?

Thanks.

Based upon your description of the second accident I wouldn't be too concerned.

They may find out about the accident through a claims index but keep the photos if that happens as proof that the 2nd accident did not cause any additional damage.

As long as he does not lie in any statement he gives to the insurance company, he really hasn't committed a crime of any sort. I doubt that a statement will even be taken in the first accident as liability seems cut and dried and I don't see where he is claiming any injury.

They may find out about the accident through a claims index but keep the photos if that happens as proof that the 2nd accident did not cause any additional damage.

As long as he does not lie in any statement he gives to the insurance company, he really hasn't committed a crime of any sort. I doubt that a statement will even be taken in the first accident as liability seems cut and dried and I don't see where he is claiming any injury.

I would HOPE to hell, after 1.5 years, this claim is CLOSED and everyone involved has moved on, well, except you of course, since you brought it back to life for some reason...:swoon::goofy:

Back