Driving Without Insurance

chaitubemus

i own a car which has liability coverage on it and my friend \ was driving the car and he hit another ca,r the another person who was driving the other car has only a learners permit and he was driving after 6pm the accident took place around 9.30 pm and he was not accompanied by anyone he is alone driving so how we proceed in this situation. my friend does not have an auto insurance and cop did not decide the mistake of which person did it now how do i claim the damages

i own a car which has liability coverage on it and my friend was driving the car and he hit another ca,r the another person who was driving the other car has only a learners permit and he was driving after 6pm the accident took place around 9.30 pm and he was not accompanied by anyone he is alone driving so how we proceed in this situation. my friend does not have an auto insurance and cop did not decide the mistake of which person did it now how do i claim the damages

I think you'll pay for your repairs, or try to get your friend to. You have liability to cover the other car. You said your friend hit another car. I assume he was driving your car with your permission.

I think you'll pay for your repairs, or try to get your friend to. You have liability to cover the other car. You said your friend hit another car. I assume he was driving your car with your permission.

should i report to the insurance company immediately

It sounds like you will have a big fine if you do not have auto insurance. You may end up having to take your friend with you to court if the police gave him a ticket. You may be able to get the fee reduced if you get car insurance before the court date.

I'm not sure what your question is.

Lets set some ground work.
- Learners permit did not cause the accident.
- Time of day did not cause the accident.

What actually caused the accident? Who did what? This will be your guide on how to move forward. Police officers rarely report fault, its not their job to make that determination, though sometimes in the report, it is indicated.

Your friend, driving your car, normally is covered under your policy. Because of this, they did have insurance. There are some rules around this, but usually its not a problem. If you have liability only though, this may not help you, unless your friend is at fault for the accident.

Did the other driver have insurance? If so, file a claim with them, unless it is clearly your friends fault. If you have liability only, it won't do much good to file against your own carrier.

Dan

Back