Dwi but Progressive Dont Know

ejack

i used to have an alaska dl and it eventually expired. i got a texas one at that time. i didn't update with progressive. since then i received a dwi on my texas license. they do not require sr22. it has been 2 years since then. when my policy renews it always shows clean and listed as ak still. i am 2nd on this policy also meaning that i share this with my sister. 2 cars each insured on eachothers car. i have been getting calls from progressive to update license info. what should i do? or which is the cheaper solution. aparantly progressive go back 3 years. but also can surcharge for not being able to obtain driving history. i blew .08 if that matters. please help. thanks in advance.

Re: Dwi but Progressive Dont Know.

i used to have an alaska dl and it eventually expired. i got a texas one at that time. i didn't update with progressive. since then i received a dwi on my texas license. they do not require sr22. it has been 2 years since then. when my policy renews it always shows clean and listed as ak still. i am 2nd on this policy also meaning that i share this with my sister. 2 cars each insured on eachothers car. i have been getting calls from progressive to update license info. what should i do? or which is the cheaper solution. aparantly progressive go back 3 years. but also can surcharge for not being able to obtain driving history. i blew .08 if that matters. please help. thanks in advance.
If they are not able to get an active DL info from you more then likely they will non-renew you.

Last edited:

the will renew me just put a surcharge on there. I am wondering if that will be cheaper than telling them about the new license

You'd better read your policy or contact your agent. In many cases if you fail to report an event or new location that would affect your rates they could deny a claim. Better check.

the will renew me just put a surcharge on there. I am wondering if that will be cheaper than telling them about the new license
I don't know all of your information but based on what i know from your post this how it works. What a company does when they cannot verify your old driving history is use the date on your new license. So, if you received license in a new state 12/01/09 and they can't verify that you had a license before that date you would be classified as a newly licensed driver(inexperienced operator) which would be a higher rate(you still need an active DL). However, this is not your situation the reason they are contacting you is because they ran your record and your old DL is invalid( so they have no active DL on file). Without a valid DL they will cancel your policy. If its your sisters policy they my exclude you or drop you. The dui will probally make your rate go up but it is not that big of a deal. The most important part is to stay insured. After three years most insurance companies no longer surchage for it. You are not required to disclose a ticket during you policy period but you do need to advise them of your location and new license. Alot of people try to buck the system but it always catches up or comes back to bite them.

Last edited:

I live in Texas and got a DWI 3 years ago. My premium went up, but that much, or as much as I thought it would. I have heard of them denying claims because of false information provided by the insured. That could be a problem. If it was me and I where in your possition, I would bite the bullet and see your new premium. It will be a lot cheaper than the claim they could deny later in life. Just a thought.

At some point, there are some insurance companies who are merely trying to find some defects in the way you indicate the information on your form and years later deny you with the privileges being sought. And yes, maybe you just need new premium or be hobbled in making them answer for your loss.

They will just not renew your policy. If i were you i would start shoping around in case that does happen.

Back