DWI/DUI and Insurance Policy & Rates

jfahey

Hey guys I wanted to hear from you all on if/and how much your insurance went up after being convicted, also if you were dropped, then what insurer did you end up going with. Everyones story is different just wanting to hear some different policies, companies and rates:goofy:. Thank you

the answers you're going to get are going to be all over the place, depending on which company.

.... on one extreme, some companies will drop drivers if they find out about a DUI and/or needing a state filing (such as an SR22).......

on the other extreme, I have one carrier that if your record was clean prior to the DUI, the first DUI is on the house, and zero surcharge for either the DUI and/or the SR22 filing.....

.... and of course, you're going to get tons of in the middle of those two extremes.

Last edited:
WOW, Never seen this sort of leniency.

may not be true in all states. don't know about California, or even if they sell in Cali... they're out of Wisconsin. go by three different names depending on the state.... fairly well known company in the non-standard auto world.

Last edited:
the answers you're going to get are going to be all over the place, depending on which company.

.... on one extreme, some companies will drop drivers if they find out about a DUI and/or needing a state filing (such as an SR22).......

on the other extreme, I have one carrier that if your record was clean prior to the DUI, the first DUI is on the house, and zero surcharge for either the DUI and/or the SR22 filing.....

.... and of course, you're going to get in the middle of those two extremes.

Thanks man, that was the point, everyone has a different story, just wanted to see what people have seen.

may not be true in all states. don't know about California, or even if they sell in Cali... they're out of Wisconsin. go by three different names depending on the state.... fairly well known company in the non-standard auto world.

National general/clearside does this in california

Depends of the carrier. Some insurance companies will non-renew your policy or even cancel midterm. For some (Progressive or Foremost/Bristol West) is like any other violation. Shop around for better pricing.

Hey guys I wanted to hear from you all on if/and how much your insurance went up after being convicted, also if you were dropped, then what insurer did you end up going with. Everyones story is different just wanting to hear some different policies, companies and rates:goofy:. Thank you

Try Anpac.com, find an agent and see what they say. Up here in Missouri, we're not bad (but not the best either) if first time offender. I joined American National ( as an insurance agent and a client) 5 years after my first and only offense. So, I'm pretty sure a period of time makes a difference. When I offended, State Farm dropped me like a rock. Gieco hooked it up, but my premium went up. I expected it to. So don't be surprised if it does. Not that you didn't know.
Good Luck!

Back