E R I E Auto - Is this Bulls__it?

RSevern

Can someone please read this scenario and explain what this local agent is trying to do? Thanks.

I am an adult, and I have had my own E r i e Insurance auto policy since 1980. In that entire time, I have been the sole person on that policy, no other person's checking account has ever been used to make payment on my insurance, and I have owned multiple vehicles since 1986. I currently have 4 vehicles insured on my policy. One is antique, one classic, neither of those driven daily. One is a truck and the other a sedan, both of which I use for regular transportation. I am 55, single, and childless. I do no have any children by blood or my marriage. None whatsoever. I am as single as anyone can get, lol.

My history is one collision claim back in 1989, and one cracked windshield replaced in 2011. I have no accidents, no tickets, no violations, no nothing. I drive less than 9000 miles/yr now.

I have moved in with my parents temporarily and am planning to relocate out of state for work. Parents are both in their 80s, and have their own insurance and good driving records. They also have at least 4 vehicles on their Erie policy, with only two drivers.

I don't drive theirs. They don't drive mine. There is no crossover whatsoever. I do not chauffeur my parents. We don't go places together in the same vehicle, even. There are no other people living in the house and no children or teenage learner-permit drivers or anything.

Well, E r i e suddenly got a bee in its bonnet to question us why so many vehicles at same address. I said two of mine are offsite, two are here most of the time, and my parents keep all of theirs here. All these vehicles, and only 3 people can drive them, lol.

THE ISSUE: Now E r i e wants ME to add MY parents to my policy. They also want MY PARENTS to add ME to their policy. The local agent is all but demanding this, and local agent is the only communicator I have spoken to so far. But, she says underwriters want this done, and these underwriters may cancel the policies if we don't comply. She also said there is no additional cost, and if there is an accident Erie can then spread liability over both policies.

I told her to send the forms and I would read them, but I will not consent to this because I am not my parents' driver or keeper, nor are they mine. My mother will take this to an attorney as soon as she gets the paperwork. We are all of the opinion that this is bullsh__t, an invasion of privacy, and an unreasonable demand. I told the local agent that it's okay by me if they want to cancel my policy. Just refund my premium and I will happily take my biz elsewhere.

I don't see where they have a legal leg to stand on regarding this issue. I pointed out that it probably is not their company policy, in a house of unrelated adult roommates or adult grad students or an unmarried couple to require that EVERYONE be on EVERYONE ELSE'S insurance, is it, just because they share the same address? I told her she is making connections where there are NONE. The local office gal had no response to that.

This is a small town, and frankly, the people are hicks with only high school educations. There are many elderly who were factory workers and housewives with no education. Businesses here make a good part of their money by selling bull__ services that are not needed, but the poorly educated don't know any better and will cave and pay up rather than say no.

Last edited:
this is actually more common than you think. companies want to see all household members of driving age listed on the policy.

but the degree that they enforce it or how they handle it varies from one company to the next. some companies are more strict about it than others.

some companies will allow you exclude drivers (meaning that drivers are listed on your policy but ARE NOT covered if they were to drive any of the vehicles on the policy). however, in your case, since there is no increase in premium, I wouldn't recommend doing this (not sure if Erie allows it or not anyways).

I know things like this sounds silly and petty for a company to do, but they do it because too many people try to scam the system, ruining it for everyone. this usually comes up with parents not listing their teenage drivers to avoid higher premiums. as a result, many companies have tightened their underwriting standards to where it affects all drivers in the household (not just the youngins).

shop around with other companies if you want. but be aware that this will probably come up at least to some degree with many auto insurance companies. as long as they're not raising your premium, you may just as well go ahead and do what they ask. but there are some companies that are not as strict about this if you choose not to comply.

Thanks for the reply. But "incensed" pretty well sums up my opinion of this nonsense. There are 2 separate policies affected by this nonsense. Two households under one roof, essentially, and I am only here temporarily. Actually, this nonsense and dealing with that hick at the local office give me huge incentive to leave this stupid town permanently. When you have only about 10% of adults over age 25 with baccalaureate degrees, you know you are dealing with a lower socioeconomic element and most are not very bright.

Adults are adults, and E r i e needs to be told to bugger off and refund the premium that I have paid, b/c my dollars are definitely going elsewhere, even if I pay double the premiums for the privilege. I do not want to be tied to 80-somethings' policy, nor will I consent to have them on MINE, when I have been an independent adult since age 21.

My experience in over 30 years of auto insurance with E r i e is that they give low rates, but they truly suck whenever they are actually asked to pay for collision repairs. I was in one accident where a kid ran a red light, turned directly into my path, and I swerved to avoid hitting head-on and hit him square in the A pillar. He actually left the scene of the accident, and went home and got his dad and came back. Then the kid and dad claimed that the kid had a green light, so that's why he turned. Kid was not even looking at the road. I could clearly see him and passenger when he turned, and he was looking down and to the right, like fiddling with the radio. Passenger was looking right at me and screamed. Even though the police and city engineer studied that light for a long time and witnessed nothing other than it flawlessly operating as intended, the E company decided to charge ME with half fault. They raised my premium 33%, then took that increase back off over 3 years. E r i e sucks. Truly. The only reason I stayed with them is they gave me low rates and I had no further claims, so we avoided p---sing each other off for about 20 years, until now. But this is the end, E r i e. Gone.

Last edited:
Sorry, but blocko is right. I'm also sorry you're upset by this requirement, but as mentioned, its an issue you're going to run into even if you switch. If your premium is not affected, make the change temporarily and remove them once you've moved. I think being insistent on this issue will only cause you more trouble than it's worth, and if you find a company whose guidelines allow you to completely ignore licensed drivers in the same hosehold, it's likely to be a non-preferred or nonstandard company that will not only cost you more, but will DEFINITELY not cover your classic vehicles the way you want them to.

"I don't drive theirs. They don't drive mine. There is no crossover whatsoever. I do not chauffeur my parents. We don't go places together in the same vehicle, even. There are no other people living in the house and no children or teenage learner-permit drivers or anything."

If I had a nickel for every time I was told this, I would have at least $100.

"This is a small town, and frankly, the people are hicks with only high school educations. There are many elderly who were factory workers and housewives with no education. Businesses here make a good part of their money by selling bull__ services that are not needed, but the poorly educated don't know any better and will cave and pay up rather than say no."

This statement shows what type of person you are and why your agent is insisting that you do what is required. You sound like an ***hole.

"I don't see where they have a legal leg to stand on regarding this issue. I pointed out that it probably is not their company policy, in a house of unrelated adult roommates or adult grad students or an unmarried couple to require that EVERYONE be on EVERYONE ELSE'S insurance, is it, just because they share the same address? I told her she is making connections where there are NONE. The local office gal had no response to that."

YES, it is legal to require all people of driving age to be listed on your policy, IMO.

Let's just say that I am VERY familiar with Erie's policy language. This is America, if you don't like Erie or your agent, MOVE YOU COVERAGE ELSEWHERE!!

As a result of you bring "highly educated" and everyone else on this earth being a lower class than you, I would even recommend that you move your business elsewhere and I may just ask you to leave my office.

Last edited:
Can someone please read this scenario and explain what this local agent is trying to do? Thanks.

I am an adult, and I have had my own E r i e Insurance auto policy since 1980. In that entire time, I have been the sole person on that policy, no other person's checking account has ever been used to make payment on my insurance, and I have owned multiple vehicles since 1986. I currently have 4 vehicles insured on my policy. One is antique, one classic, neither of those driven daily. One is a truck and the other a sedan, both of which I use for regular transportation. I am 55, single, and childless. I do no have any children by blood or my marriage. None whatsoever. I am as single as anyone can get, lol.

My history is one collision claim back in 1989, and one cracked windshield replaced in 2011. I have no accidents, no tickets, no violations, no nothing. I drive less than 9000 miles/yr now.

I have moved in with my parents temporarily and am planning to relocate out of state for work. Parents are both in their 80s, and have their own insurance and good driving records. They also have at least 4 vehicles on their Erie policy, with only two drivers.

I don't drive theirs. They don't drive mine. There is no crossover whatsoever. I do not chauffeur my parents. We don't go places together in the same vehicle, even. There are no other people living in the house and no children or teenage learner-permit drivers or anything.

Well, E r i e suddenly got a bee in its bonnet to question us why so many vehicles at same address. I said two of mine are offsite, two are here most of the time, and my parents keep all of theirs here. All these vehicles, and only 3 people can drive them, lol.

THE ISSUE: Now E r i e wants ME to add MY parents to my policy. They also want MY PARENTS to add ME to their policy. The local agent is all but demanding this, and local agent is the only communicator I have spoken to so far. But, she says underwriters want this done, and these underwriters may cancel the policies if we don't comply. She also said there is no additional cost, and if there is an accident Erie can then spread liability over both policies.

I told her to send the forms and I would read them, but I will not consent to this because I am not my parents' driver or keeper, nor are they mine. My mother will take this to an attorney as soon as she gets the paperwork. We are all of the opinion that this is bullsh__t, an invasion of privacy, and an unreasonable demand. I told the local agent that it's okay by me if they want to cancel my policy. Just refund my premium and I will happily take my biz elsewhere.

I don't see where they have a legal leg to stand on regarding this issue. I pointed out that it probably is not their company policy, in a house of unrelated adult roommates or adult grad students or an unmarried couple to require that EVERYONE be on EVERYONE ELSE'S insurance, is it, just because they share the same address? I told her she is making connections where there are NONE. The local office gal had no response to that.

This is a small town, and frankly, the people are hicks with only high school educations. There are many elderly who were factory workers and housewives with no education. Businesses here make a good part of their money by selling bull__ services that are not needed, but the poorly educated don't know any better and will cave and pay up rather than say no.

Thank you for reinforcing why I HATE personal lines. Your carrier has done NOTHING outside the standard and customary underwriting practices within the industry.

As the previous poster suggested take your business elsewhere.

As mentioned by everyone this is common insurance practice..

Reason being is the insurance companies want to know everyone living in the household that has access to the vehicles. Because insurance follows the car and not the person they have to protect their interest. You may have a perfect driving record but your roommate may have a DUI and 4 speeding tickets and if he gets in your car and causes an accident it's your insurance that is going to have to pay. If you live with someone like that the insurance company just wants to know. I know this isn't your situation but just a way to give you an idea of why they want to list them

Bottom line? You are living with your parents. This is not "2 households under one roof". This is "one roof = one household".

Get an attorney all you want. An insurance policy is a legal contract. Sign it or don't. Their checkbook is open so they deserve to know ALL of the possibilities......you want access to that checkbook, so you must adhere to the terms of the contract.

What everyone and their mama has said. This is standard across insurance companies. So if you have room mates and their girlfriends under one roof, yes, the insurance companies want to know of them. Either to exclude or add as a potential driver.

What state are you in? I have an idea that may help.

Sent from my iPhone using InsForums

Back