Expectations Forced Placed Insurance Claim Remediation

ins1772

My car was in an accident on January 8th. I was only covered under forced-placed insurance (collision/comp no liability) as outlined in the terms of my loan. I reported the accident immediately to both the bank and the insurer. I've called weekly for status updates and haven't received any information from the insurance company since the adjuster came and looked at it. It was found to be a total loss.

I've also been trying to check in with my bank continuously since the accident. The bank has repeatedly said that they are waiting on the insurer for paperwork, while the insurer says they are waiting on the bank for paperwork. I've also heard from both parties that a check should be mailed out in 2 weeks, to the bank to cover the lien, for over a month now. It's been 2 months since the accident and I have gotten no where. The ramifications of this are getting heavier. I understand the huge mistake it was to allow force placed insurance on my vehicle and would prefer not to be lectured regarding that terrible terrible mistake. But I could really use some advice at this point.

My wife's car is in terrible condition and we are both using it to travel multiple pickups / drop-offs each day and I don't think it will survive much longer. We have a newborn and were just waiting a few more months to make a new purchase so she could have something reliable. But at this point, I cannot get a car loan until my previous loan is settled via insurance-bank process.

I also asked the bank (the collections manager is responsible for this process) if I have any option to purchase the car outright as-is (as you would usually have the option to do in a total loss situation normally). He said I could make a bid on the car and if it is more than he would get at auction then he would sell it to me. I asked him to provide a number that I could purchase it for after the loan is payed and he said I need to give him a number and he'll check with the auction guys. Blind bidding on a car I currently have in my driveway, with a loan that will be satisfied after the insurer cuts the check seems weird and confusing. The car has extremely low miles and is sooo very clean on the outside and inside.

Is over two months reasonable in regards to the remediation of a forced placed insurance claim? Is the standard in a situation like this where the loan holder wants to purchase the total loss seem fishy in this instance?

Unfortunately, you may have more issues then you realize.

The payoff from the insurance may not (probably not?) cover the bank lien on the car, depending on how old the car is, how much down you put on it and the particular car. Basically, most people are upside down on their car loans for years when they purchase a new car. Yes, the insurance will cover the bulk of it, but you may still be on the hook for the balance of the loan though you might be able to roll this into your next car loan if needed, but this will make you very upside down.

Make sure you continue to make your payments on the loan until it is settled.

60 days to settle a total loss is a very long time, but not unheard of. They will get it taken care of.

As far as bidding on your car to keep it, if it is a total loss and you want safety and reliability, I would recommend passing on this option. If you really want to do it, since it sounds like a newer model car, if its not significantly damaged (i.e., can be repaired and sold as a salvaged car or lots of good parts to sell), you'll probably have to offer about 20% of the value of the car to be able to keep it. The downside is you will not be able to finance this, so you'll have to have the cash to do it.

Dan

Back