First Time Ever Cancelling Auto Policy: how Does It Work?

As an ex-ANPAC Agent and a now independent Agent that has studied AllState policies as well as many others thoroughly I will say that you are now "in better hands" than you were with All-State. ANPAC's claims service is exceptional and HO policies are one of the best. Smaller carriers usually provide a much better customer experience and for them I will vouch this point. Although I don't like how they treat their agents :) I think All-State has that problem too.

You made a smart switch

I'm a pretty big insurance nerd, as I work in the industry so I did basically what you are describing as comparing coverages and exclusions closely. American National's home coverage is quite a bit more extensive. You can find a lot of info on their website or contact an agent and they can get you a copy of a policy for review. I'll give you a rough example of my policy limits, deductibles, and premium to give you an idea:

Old auto policy: 2 cars, 2 named drivers.
BI: 100,300
PD: 100
Collision/Comp: ACV $500 deductible
UM/UIM: 100,300
Towing/Rental: Did not purchase
Total premium for 6 month period: $750.51

Old home policy:
Dwelling/personal prop/ other structure: $2,000 all peril deductible
Liability: 300,000
Guest medical: 1,000
Waterback up: $5,000 $500 deductible
Additonal living exp: 24 months 23,738
Total premium:. $483.68

New auto:
BI: 250,500
PD: 100
UM/UIM: 250,500
Comp/coll: ACV, $500 deductible
Rental and towing: purchased
Accidental death: 5,000,10,000
Total premium for 6 month: $472.00

New home:
Dwelling, personal prop, other structure: $1,000 all peril deductible
Liab: $500k
Guest medical payment: 1,000
Additional living exp: 36 months, $59,375 (includes kennelling of pets)
Waterback up: $5,000, $1,000 deductible
Indentify Theft Protection: included
Home systems protection: $50k limit, $1k deductible
Service line system coverage: 50k limit; 1k deductible
Total premium: $620 annually.

----------

Thanks for the response. the agent helped me take care of it today.
Have you heard of American National at all or just not much? I'm not sure what their presence in the Northeast is.
Yes they have real people as agents, which is great. All companies should.

----------

Got it taken care of today. No awkward convo between me and my agent who has been very helpful.

----------

Don't know if he liked it, but he did it. I avoided the awkward convo I wasn't looking forward to.

Their presence in my neck of the woods is zero. I'm licensed in Maine, Vermont, NH and Mass and I've never dealt with them. I primarily focus on Maine and I've never met one of their agents or seen an agency up here. A lot can be said for having a local agent and a relationship with a local agency like Allstate or State Farm

Their presence in my neck of the woods is zero. I'm licensed in Maine, Vermont, NH and Mass and I've never dealt with them. I primarily focus on Maine and I've never met one of their agents or seen an agency up here. A lot can be said for having a local agent and a relationship with a local agency like Allstate or State Farm

I did a quick look on their agent finder website and it looks like they gave agents in Maine, Vermont, and Mass.

They spend very little in advertising, obviously. They are a small company compared to the large insurance companies, but they provide top notch products at extremely competitive pricing.

I liked my All State agent and he was very helpful when I first got All State auto and renters and then switched to HO. But I never had a claim in those 5 years so I never dealt with anyone else in the process. It also became apparent over the last two renewals that I wasn't going to be able to continue to afford the rate hikes while carrying such small coverage amounts and high deductibles.

You should get a quote from a local American National agent there in Maine and see what the competition is doing.

----------

As an ex-ANPAC Agent and a now independent Agent that has studied AllState policies as well as many others thoroughly I will say that you are now "in better hands" than you were with All-State. ANPAC's claims service is exceptional and HO policies are one of the best. Smaller carriers usually provide a much better customer experience and for them I will vouch this point. Although I don't like how they treat their agents :) I think All-State has that problem too.

You made a smart switch

Thank you for the response. I like hearing your insight. If you don't mind me asking, what did you not like about how they treat their agents? It's disappointing to hear they don't treat the agents well. Also, do they do any kind of advertising? The ANPAC agents I've spoken too don't even seem to urgent on attracting new business or even signing up new clients! I had to push them to get the application sent in!

Anpac themselves don't do much in the form of advertising - it's all on the agents to advertise their office and sell their products - this was one of the flaws. Most carriers help pay for advertising where Anpac never would. Their commission structure is very low compared to other companies. We had one of the largest Anpac offices in the Southeast but had little voice when it came to suggestions and product development.

I have heard that since leaving management has done much in the way of improvement. Just looking at their home systems protection which they didn't have in 2010 it appears they are trying to get their product more in line with the large carriers. Anpac has always had their focus on life insurance which we still use occasionally. They truly still do have outstanding life products.

I would never speak bad of them as a company - they helped me get my start in insurance - I will always says they are a great company, great history, great financials but poor agency relations. However, If they ever chose to be sold through independent agencies I would add them to my lineup!

Anpac themselves don't do much in the form of advertising - it's all on the agents to advertise their office and sell their products - this was one of the flaws. Most carriers help pay for advertising where Anpac never would. Their commission structure is very low compared to other companies. We had one of the largest Anpac offices in the Southeast but had little voice when it came to suggestions and product development.

I have heard that since leaving management has done much in the way of improvement. Just looking at their home systems protection which they didn't have in 2010 it appears they are trying to get their product more in line with the large carriers. Anpac has always had their focus on life insurance which we still use occasionally. They truly still do have outstanding life products.

I would never speak bad of them as a company - they helped me get my start in insurance - I will always says they are a great company, great history, great financials but poor agency relations. However, If they ever chose to be sold through independent agencies I would add them to my lineup!

Makes sense and thanks for sharing. When you did sell ANPAC did you notice their auto rates being very competitive compared to the large carriers?

Which companies are you appointed with now as an IA? Have you ever done any business with Chubb or ACE?

I was with ANPAC from 2007 - 2011. Their rates were moderatly competitive I would say more so on homes than auto because they offered substantial discounts on the homes for updates - we mainly wrote farms which I still think they have one of the most comprehensive policies out there. I still have many of my ANPAC customers call me wanting to switch due to not having a local agent and it's just not often feasible price wise - I would say I was only able to move 70% of the anpac clients which is low when we are able to convert 93% of outside customers.

I now represent Erie, Allied, Hartford, Liberty Mutual, Celina, Safeco, Ace, Chubb, State Auto, Guide One - and many others I know I'm forgetting - Erie being our largest carrier

Back