Geico Cancellation Question

fwysngrns

I am well-educated a successful business-owner. I have also been a Geico customer for many years. We have not made a vehicle claim in over 10 years, and no tickets either. My daughter has been driving for 7 years with no accidents and only 1 ticket. About 18 months ago my son pulled a bonehead move and got a DWI. I told him if he wanted to drive he'd have to get the SR22 and pay for his insurance. He was off to college and opted to ride his bike. He's a great kid and in pre-med. He just got a great job in a lab, but needs transportation. So I told him I'd take care of the insurance. I called Geico. I talked to a nice lady who said they'd be happy to take care of us and told me we'd have the paperwork in 2 to 3 days. Today I get a call from an underwriter. She told me that not only will we not be getting the SR22, but that my vehicle policies are canceled effective June 6. I was stunned. She explained that if I would sign a document stating that my son would never be a driver of one of our vehicles, and would acknowledge that if he did, Geico would be fully indemnified, they would reinstate our policies. I nicely let her know that I would happily pay $1,000 more a year before I would ever insure with Geico again. Is this a normal auto insurance practice? Seems like they could have simply called to explain their decision and then asked me to sign a form.

It's actually pretty common. If the company finds out there is a family member with unacceptable driving record under their guideline, then they'll either cancel you ( which they did but gave you 30 days to find another company), or they'll ask you to exclude that person.

I was stunned.

YOU SHOULD BE STUNNED!

Your son got drunk and operated a vehicle which makes him a toxic risk. He's a risk to himself, he's a risk to others, and insurance companies that give out preferred rates will exclude drivers that make terrible decisions.

It sounds like they explained the situation and gave you a 30 day cancellation notice. Their policy is very common. Why are you stunned? Simple, you don't realize just how big of a mistake your son made. Your son decided that his desire to drive after consuming alcohol was more important than the safety of others. There is about a 1 in 3 chance he's going to do this again within the next 10 years which is why GEICO wants no part of it. If you're this disconnected from how serious of a problem this is I can only imagine how little he understands.

YOU SHOULD BE STUNNED!

Your son got drunk and operated a vehicle which makes him a toxic risk. He's a risk to himself, he's a risk to others, and insurance companies that give out preferred rates will exclude drivers that make terrible decisions.

It sounds like they explained the situation and gave you a 30 day cancellation notice. Their policy is very common. Why are you stunned? Simple, you don't realize just how big of a mistake your son made. Your son decided that his desire to drive after consuming alcohol was more important than the safety of others. There is about a 1 in 3 chance he's going to do this again within the next 10 years which is why GEICO wants no part of it. If you're this disconnected from how serious of a problem this is I can only imagine how little he understands.

Josh I feel your holding back here.....how do you really feel.

Back