Girlfriends Car in my Name

ThomasG07

My girlfriend is trying to buy a car asap to commute to work and to pick up her daughters from daycare and such. However she just recently found out that she owes a 500 dollar vehicle abandonment fee for leaving her old car on the side of the road. Until she pays this off she cannot register another vehicle in AZ. Will I be able to put her new vehicle in my name until she has paid the fee and then switch it to her name? Also do I have to be on the insurance while it is in my name?

First off, yes, you will typically need to be a named insured if the car is registered to you.

Second, depending on how registration works in your state, it may or may not save her any money or trouble to do this. If you get the car registered to you, then switch registration (if the lienholder allows this), you're going to be paying property tax, sales tax, and registration fees twice.

If the car is in your name, then the loan will be in your name. Switching it over will be a nightmare and expensive since she would be buying a used car from you and the transfer fees would (probably) apply.

Its cheaper and easier to just pay the $500 and be done with it. I know its not as convenient at the moment, but it is the best course of action.

Dan

Don't do it!

I see this often, first if she wrecks the car its in your name so your insurance rates are effected. I have seen couples break up then the person in possession of the car stops paying the insurance and the other one gets stuck with the bill. This usually ends badly as a costly mistake.

My girlfriend is trying to buy a car asap to commute to work and to pick up her daughters from daycare and such. However she just recently found out that she owes a 500 dollar vehicle abandonment fee for leaving her old car on the side of the road. Until she pays this off she cannot register another vehicle in AZ. Will I be able to put her new vehicle in my name until she has paid the fee and then switch it to her name? Also do I have to be on the insurance while it is in my name?

Your a moron if you buy her a car and not married. 2. she is not a response person because she abandoned a car? 3.Can not afford $500?

Rule number one in today's dating world when getting serious, always run a credit and background check!!!!!

Your a moron if you buy her a car and not married. 2. she is not a response person because she abandoned a car? 3.Can not afford $500?

Rule number one in today's dating world when getting serious, always run a credit and background check!!!!!

^^^ This is the best advice you are going to get ^^^

Back