GM Too Far Gone?

ahh but the reseason they show the figures w/out VEBA is because the havent paid since 2007 ... and have just agreed to take half in stock

GM and Chrysler LLC have received $17.4 billion in government loans and are required by those loan agreements to ask the UAW to accept stock payments instead of cash payments to fund their VEBAs. Ford, which has not applied for government loans, also asked the UAW to agree to modifications to fund the VEBA.

Ford owes $13.6 billion to the health-care trust. Although Ford is in a better position than GM and Chrysler, it just reported a $14.6-billion loss for 2008, the largest loss in the company’s 105-year history.

ahh but the reseason they show the figures w/out VEBA is because the havent paid since 2007 ... and have just agreed to take half in stock

GM and Chrysler LLC have received $17.4 billion in government loans and are required by those loan agreements to ask the UAW to accept stock payments instead of cash payments to fund their VEBAs. Ford, which has not applied for government loans, also asked the UAW to agree to modifications to fund the VEBA.

Ford owes $13.6 billion to the health-care trust. Although Ford is in a better position than GM and Chrysler, it just reported a $14.6-billion loss for 2008, the largest loss in the company’s 105-year history.

Let the bankruptcy court just wipe the slate clean. They are too far gone. Or if they are not, then fine, go to it. Just dont ask for more.

What killed GM was the sudden decline in popularity of the SUV's and big cars when $4.00/gallon gasoline hit. Now that the price of gas is around $2.00/gallon I think you will see a return to our old driving habits and choice of vehicles. I expect we will see gas hover in $1.50/gallon range shortly and remain there for the next few years. That is the key to the recovery of GM. If we go back to buying American cars, GM lives. If not.... RIP GM.

BK - kill the union contracts and pay people $12/hr to screw bolts on a car - it's unskilled labor.

Sell the plants to the japanese as part of a liquidation sale so that we can get the money we gave them already back.

What killed GM was the sudden decline in popularity of the SUV's and big cars when $4.00/gallon gasoline hit. Now that the price of gas is around $2.00/gallon I think you will see a return to our old driving habits and choice of vehicles. I expect we will see gas hover in $1.50/gallon range shortly and remain there for the next few years. That is the key to the recovery of GM. If we go back to buying American cars, GM lives. If not.... RIP GM.

$ 1.50 gal for the next few years...? Doubt that. The only thing that will keep prices low will be lack of demand and high inventories. If that is the case, then this is counter cyclical to GM or any other auto co selling more cars. I think your logic is flawed here. If demand resumes, gas will surely be at $ 3 bucks/gal, or more, as the target for oil prices is between 60-80 brl.

GM is toast-a-rama no matter which way you slice it. The only thing that keeps them going is continued infusion of YOUR tax dollars in the form of a subsidy. Maybe that will happen; other countries subsidize their auto makers, and maybe the US will have to do so to maintain an auto maker presence. Who knows... or at least this may happen until the US goes broke, which will happen based on how the drunken sailors appropriate funds.

Fed'l Hwy Admin reports reduced miles being driven even in light of lower gas prices. Fed Hwy Admin release.

$ 1.50 gal for the next few years...? Doubt that. The only thing that will keep prices low will be lack of demand and high inventories. If that is the case, then this is counter cyclical to GM or any other auto co selling more cars. I think your logic is flawed here. If demand resumes, gas will surely be at $ 3 bucks/gal, or more, as the target for oil prices is between 60-80 brl.

GM is toast-a-rama no matter which way you slice it. The only thing that keeps them going is continued infusion of YOUR tax dollars in the form of a subsidy. Maybe that will happen; other countries subsidize their auto makers, and maybe the US will have to do so to maintain an auto maker presence. Who knows... or at least this may happen until the US goes broke, which will happen based on how the drunken sailors appropriate funds.

Fed'l Hwy Admin reports reduced miles being driven even in light of lower gas prices. Fed Hwy Admin release.

I agree that the target price for a barrel is in the range you stated. However, I think that that means that the price of gas can be driven up not only by demand but also by cuts in production. OPEC/Canada/Venzuela are reducing production but still want to break even or profit on what is up and running. The oil business is somewhat subject to supply and demand, but not completely. It is after all a cartel and cartels are monopolies so they work within supply and demand but can also do funky things in the background.

Some of the reductions in price are due to the leftover glut from when demand went south. Eventually that will be gone. And then you have all these frigging futures traders that skew the picture in the short to medium run as well and that has to all flush out and low demand and low production have to come face to face.

The unions have to change.

I think 2010 the UAW takes over their own health care plan?

There is now way they will keep those benefits in place after they have to start paying for them.

If the UAW is not willing to take stock in the company that employs them that shows you they don't belive in the company.

I think GM need to restructure through Bankruptcy if they are going to survie. If the UAW does not want to work for less wages there are a **** load of people right now looking for work.

How the heck can you nationalize a company in a free enterprise system where you still have other competitor auto companies. It is one thing to nationalize an industry and have the government run it. It is quite different though to pick out one of the competitors and nationalize them and subsidize them to help them compete against the others. That isnt right. We are propping up the weakest and making them more competitive against those who have some chance of making it. Ford can almost make it-maybe maybe not. So instead we will boost GM up and help them to kill off Ford or knock them down until they need to go on the public tit too.

Calls for nationalized troubled automakers grow - Mar. 2, 2009

Back