Going to Court Due to NOT Having Insurance on Moped.

ditorri1

Hello,

My question to you guys is this, is my research on point or am I missing something? Now he wants to take my friend to court so that he can pay for all the damages, when his own insurance is supposed to cover this type of situation. Should we fight back and go to court? Or should we pay up?

I will try to put an attachment of the damage.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-11-06 at 2.49.09 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2015-11-06 at 2.49.09 PM.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Even if Geico pays the claim in full. They are entitled to subrogate against the at fault party. Either way, I would think your friend may have to cough up some money. A court may be more sympathetic and given the picture you attached may lower the payment due. I honestly doubt that they will bother to fix that tiny little ding and just want some $$. Only pay them directly with paid bills. Not estimates. Or pay them a portion on the estimate. Suggest your friend buys some insurance on his moped. Hope this helps.

If he's filed a UMPD claim through his insurance company, and you're fairly certain the damages will be less than what the driver is asking for, then let the insurance company fix it and they will bill you. If he had loss of use coverage on his policy it would pay for a rental car as well, but maybe he doesn't have it?

In CA, that ding would probably run close to $700 to fix. These things are always way more expensive then people realize. They basically are going to pull the bumper and send it out to be reconditioned and then put it back on. I would have them get another estimate though.

Of course, you can always call Fix-o-dent or whatever and they will fix it for a few hundred.

Should only need 2 days rent a car, but that doesn't really matter much, 3 days is $100 or so.

Have them get their insurance company to pay it and then if and when the insurance company bills your friend, he can send in the $800. Not a big deal.

Now the real questions: How do you know they have Geico? UMPD? and what insurance agent were you talking to? If they filed a claim, have them process the claim. Don't pay them and then also have them process a claim. If your friend does pay them, make sure they sign saying this resolves all claims and NO insurance claim will be filed.

Dan

Back