Going Through a MGA for a New P/C Agent in Order to Get Appointments

I'm a new P/C agent and have started my own agency. E/O is good to go...looking for getting some appointments. I was told to go through a managing general agent so I can get some decent appointments. If this is a good way to go, who are some that I should go through for CA? All feedback is appreciated...thank you!

I'm a new P/C agent and have started my own agency. E/O is good to go...looking for getting some appointments. I was told to go through a managing general agent so I can get some decent appointments. If this is a good way to go, who are some that I should go through for CA? All feedback is appreciated...thank you!

MGA is usually a term for life or health products, I think you need a cluster. I'm sure DJS can help shed some light on California P&c processes though.

MGA is usually a term for life or health products, I think you need a cluster. I'm sure DJS can help shed some light on California P&c processes though.

Thank you! What does DJS stand for? Any web links in regards to 'cluster' that I can read into? I do not know what is a cluster...

Im going to assume you are going for auto only because you posted this in the auto insurance forum.

I cant help you with mga's or clusters but I know there are plenty of companies that will appoint agents with no book. What I did is get appointed through a few of these companies so I was competitive enough to place any deal and built my book. Then you can contact bigger companies once you have a big enough book or a stable marketing plan. It's really not that hard in California. I'm Los Angeles area and I did just fine.

I recommend contacting the marketing departments of these companies but there are no guarantees.

Access
Anchor General
CenCal
Clearside
Infinity** You will need a book to get this one but its one of the top non-standard auto carriers in California.

Once you have a book you can move on to better companies. Just know these small companies you never heard of are extremely competitive.

Last edited by a moderator:
Im going to assume you are going for auto only because you posted this in the auto insurance forum.

I cant help you with mga's or clusters but I know there are plenty of companies that will appoint agents with no book. What I did is get appointed through a few of these companies so I was competitive enough to place any deal and built my book. Then you can contact bigger companies once you have a big enough book or a stable marketing plan. It's really not that hard in California. I'm Los Angeles area and I did just fine.

I recommend contacting the marketing departments of these companies but there are no guarantees.

Once you have a book you can move on to better companies. Just know these small companies you never heard of are extremely competitive.

Thank you very much for this advice. You were much more helpful than the previous guy who replied here. I will look into these smaller companies!

Find out if SIAA operates in CA (they probably do). Based on all the other posts on this subject I would say that the consensus seems to be that they are the best option, although there is a cost. I've talked to them a little bit and I like what I've learned so far.

Re:Contracts with Insurers/new P/C producer

May I find out how a new P/C producer could get going from his own home,please? He would not have any experience. What about the software to get quotes?And how to approach what Insurer companies for contracts,please?

There are some agent networks, out there, which allow you to work from home, while you build up your book and gain experience. I would look into that as well.

Back