Google Self Driving Car, No Steering Wheel, No Brakes

Probably a bigger threat to the auto agent than Walmart.

Why do I need car insurance if it can drive itself?

Perhaps still a need for comp, but I can't imagine that is going to be very much. Particularly if you can't steal a car self-driving car, at least in some way that isn't covered by Google or other manufacturer.

i bet very few people could afford this

From a segment I had seen about Volvo, I don't recall the premium for their system being much more than the regular vehicle. I bet it is fairly mainstream within 10 years of release.

The technology is definitely getting there, but regulatory hurdles and consumer acceptance (or lack thereof) will hold it back beyond 2020, I would think. Then again, 20 years ago I thought we'd all be "driving" flying cars a la George Jetson by now

The technology is definitely getting there, but regulatory hurdles and consumer acceptance (or lack thereof) will hold it back beyond 2020, I would think. Then again, 20 years ago I thought we'd all be "driving" flying cars a la George Jetson by now

I would wager regulatory hurdles being the biggest obstacle.

Also, I would guess the biggest demand will be for daily commuters, particularly in dense cities that experience gridlock during rush hour.

Letting Google navigate your daily 45 minute to 2 hour stop and go, bumper to bumper morning commute, "Check."

Letting Google navigate your cross country trip to see Yellowstone, "Maybe not."

There are still things to be considered for insurance of these vehicles, and other vehicles, after their introduction to the market. Some examples: a transitional stage where both driver and driver-less vehicles are on the road, software malfunctions, malware, etc.

I'd expect to see early adopters in specific communities as opposed to broader geographies of early adopters.

I bet the insurance for the self driving car will be cheaper, after all, the chances of a collision will be reduced. With that said, i must say am not a fan of self driving cars, once you program it to take a certain router, it will follow that route regardless of whether there is heavy traffic or not. Plus, i like to take control of my car. What would happen if the system is compromised, you can't take the wheel coz there is no wheel, so all in all, self driving cars are not my thing.

I bet the insurance for the self driving car will be cheaper, after all, the chances of a collision will be reduced. With that said, i must say am not a fan of self driving cars, once you program it to take a certain router, it will follow that route regardless of whether there is heavy traffic or not. Plus, i like to take control of my car. What would happen if the system is compromised, you can't take the wheel coz there is no wheel, so all in all, self driving cars are not my thing.

While the last is definitely a concern, routing won't be as big a concern.

Google already collects traffic data where available and uses that for routing with its mapping software. With thousands and then eventually millions of self-driving cars collecting traffic data, it will only get better. Also, self-driving cars presumably won't be such bad drivers and traffic will flow more smoothly.

But yes, having your car hacked is going to be a huge concern. Even giving it a bad GPS signal would probably be sufficient to send it off course.

Google cars are truly interesting - having seen one in action. Insurance companies aren't looking forward to such safe driving since premiums will be pressured to go down by the state insurance commissioners in light of fewer accidents, and better driving?? But like all things electronic, problems will arise so liability will need to be covered.

Back