Got Hit Today, Not Sure how to Handle, Please Help!

Jdavidson015

Expert
Ok, so I have been in some accidents before ( none my fault ) but never like this. So I was pulling out of a parking lot that my college owns, and a guy in another car driving down the street pulls to a stop at the end of the driveway and looks into both lots ( both right across from one another) as if he's either going to let me go or enter one of them. Because he stops and looks into the lot, I pull out (on to a one way road) and turn right ( the correct way) and he pulls forward into me. Now he admitted to me that he didn't look forward after he stopped and that he didn't even see me but I doubt he will admit to that when dealing with insurance. Anyway he ended up swiping my driver side fender and bumper, scraped my rim and according to the body shop likely cracked the back of my headlight housing, the way he hit me he has basically no damage ( maybe some scuffed paint, but it was a beat up 04 Honda with a lot of paint damage anyway). So the shop said my out of pocket total will be about 900-1000 through insurance, everything will be replaced instead of repaired and likely be around 3000. His actions are the sole cause of this but I'm not sure how insurance will view it. I suppose I should mention that my deductible is 1000 and although I know I shouldn't be at fault, I don't know insurance will see it that way and can't afford a surcharge should they find me at fault. Any advice would be tremendously helpful. Thanks in advance, Jesse

----------

Sorry about the double thread post, hit the back button and accidentally reposted

I don't think you are going to like how this ends...

From the sounds of it, you were exiting a parking lot and turning onto a street. Unless there was a traffic control device, light or sign, you did not have the right of way. Pretty sure the insurance companies will determine this to be your fault. You should have made sure it was clear before proceeding.

I don't think you are going to like how this ends...

From the sounds of it, you were exiting a parking lot and turning onto a street. Unless there was a traffic control device, light or sign, you did not have the right of way. Pretty sure the insurance companies will determine this to be your fault. You should have made sure it was clear before proceeding.

Like I said, he stopped as if allowing me to exit or to turn into one of the 2 lots, so I proceeded to exit and he openly admitted the stopped then pulled forward without looking. Which is why I'm confused, if he didn't do that I never would have gone.

Last edited:
Re: Got Hit Today, Not Sure how to Handle

I think that based upon the circumstances that you described that anyone investigating this would probably find you at fault. This based strictly on the fact that he was going straight and you were pulling onto the roadway in front of him. Now he may have caused the accident by stopping and then taking off but unless he owns fault I think you our SOL.

I think that based upon the circumstances that you described that anyone investigating this would probably find you at fault. This based strictly on the fact that he was going straight and you were pulling onto the roadway in front of him. Now he may have caused the accident by stopping and then taking off but unless he owns fault I think you our SOL.

That's kinda what I'm thinking, but I'm wondering if maybe I can subpoena his cell records and accident history to see if he was texting or has done stuff like this before. I'm by no means rich, but I have no problem suing if I can prove him at fault or as a scammer or something. Mainly because I can go after his insurance for all legal fees, devaluation of my car, as well as the repair

That's kinda what I'm thinking, but I'm wondering if maybe I can subpoena his cell records and accident history to see if he was texting or has done stuff like this before. I'm by no means rich, but I have no problem suing if I can prove him at fault or as a scammer or something. Mainly because I can go after his insurance for all legal fees, devaluation of my car, as well as the repair

Sounds to me like you have been watching too much TV. I think you would be wasting time and money. Court is Russian roulette. First, you have to win and second if you win you have to collect. There is no guarantee you can do either thing. Your best bet maybe to look for someone who can fix you car on the cheap either that or bit the bullet and turn it into your insurance.

Sounds to me like you have been watching too much TV. I think you would be wasting time and money. Court is Russian roulette. First, you have to win and second if you win you have to collect. There is no guarantee you can do either thing. Your best bet maybe to look for someone who can fix you car on the cheap either that or bit the bullet and turn it into your insurance.

Yea, that's all true, but probably like many of you, my car is my baby and I'm jus in that type of mood right now. I'm going to get a dash cam to record my driving life. Been rear ended 2x in the last 2 weeks once at a stop sign once at a red light. Maybe I'm just a collision magnet? Idk.... Maybe I can convince him it will come out 50-50 and we both would have to pay if we file a claim. And just settle for paying half of each car, which since he has no damage and openly admitted, I could get 450-500 to help cover my cost. Any thoughts on that?

Yea, that's all true, but probably like many of you, my car is my baby and I'm jus in that type of mood right now. I'm going to get a dash cam to record my driving life. Been rear ended 2x in the last 2 weeks once at a stop sign once at a red light. Maybe I'm just a collision magnet? Idk.... Maybe I can convince him it will come out 50-50 and we both would have to pay if we file a claim. And just settle for paying half of each car, which since he has no damage and openly admitted, I could get 450-500 to help cover my cost. Any thoughts on that?

You can always try but this may be a situation of letting sleeping dogs lie.

Back