Got Hit While Out of Country

CB04

Hi all,

I'm in a pretty crappy situation, I was coming back from Mexico from vacation, my car was parked on the road (it has liability insurance) and someone hit it in a truck and totaled it out. It broke the truck's wheel from the axle and they continued to try and drive away, after about 100 feet of grinding down the pavement, they took off on foot, witnesses say that it was a male running, the truck is registered to a female. I waited for the police report, submitted it to their insurance (State Farm) and I heard back a day after saying they're doing an investigation on the claim because the truck was reported as stolen. I called the local police department and they "claim" to have no report of that. So, I'm in a limbo right now of my vehicle not being covered and of course their insurance isn't helpful whatsoever. I was hoping for any advice or people who have been involved in this situation who may be able to help out?

P.S. I also know, I should've had full coverage, completely my fault, but I'm a college student and it wasn't super feasible on costs.

I was hoping for any advice or people who have been involved in this situation who may be able to help out?

What you have to understand is that the truck owner's insurance company is not your insurance company and owes you nothing until a court of law says the owner is responsible and for how much.

Even without a police report of the "stolen" truck if her insurance claims rep believes her story then he has every right to deny your claim.

What you'll have to do is somehow prove that the truck wasn't stolen but was used with permission or constructive permission meaning perhaps by a boy friend, relative, roommate, somebody with access to the keys and the vehicle.

Unfortunately, I don't have any suggestions as to how you can do that, unless you want to hire a private investigator.

Last edited:
If you were hit while in Mexico, it's unlikely that you'd have coverage even if you bought physical damage coverage. Auto policies have coverage territories, most being the U.S., territories and possessions, Puerto Rico, and Canada. There is an "ISO standard" Mexico endorsement that is all but useless. When driving in Mexico, you need coverage under a Mexican insurance policy. Better yet, don't drive in Mexico...there are many reasons for this beyond insurance, one being the lack of distinction between civil and criminal courts.

Not really much you can do. You chose not to have coverage for this type of situation, now you are understanding that may not have been the wisest choice.

Now that I got that off my chest....
Look at your policy and see if you at least have UMPD coverage (uninsured motorist property damage). Usually this is limited to $3500 of coverage, but if you have an insurance company that is denying the claim saying they weren't responsible, that is exactly what you need to get coverage on your own UMPD coverage.

Its a long shot though. Also, I have no idea how that will play out since you were in Mexico at the time. You'll have to ask your carrier.

Dan

Always purchase Mexican insurance before you cross the border. How much was your car worth? You probably just have to chalk this down to experience and move on.

Latest posts

Back