Gust of Wind Caught Open Hood and Hit Windshield

rbryner

My 19 year old son was working on his car with the hood up. A storm blew in suddenly and a gust of wind pushed his hood back, bending the hinges on the hood and hitting the windshield.

The windshield was damaged along with minimal damage to the hood and one quarter-panel. We got an estimate to fix it and it came to $1700.

I called the insurance company (esurance) thinking it would be covered by comprehensive insurance. The adjuster tells me that it is covered under collision because the hood collided with the windshield. In addition it is 100% our fault because the "hood was not secured".

So if we file a claim they will raise our rates the same as if my son was in an accident with him at fault. In that case it would be better to not file a claim at all.

I talked to a friend who is an adjuster with another carrier and she said it should definitely be covered by comprehesive because it was wind damage.

I guess I need to read the fine print on my policy but does this seem right? I think I am going to dump esurance either way.

My 19 year old son was working on his car with the hood up. A storm blew in suddenly and a gust of wind pushed his hood back, bending the hinges on the hood and hitting the windshield.

The windshield was damaged along with minimal damage to the hood and one quarter-panel. We got an estimate to fix it and it came to $1700.

I called the insurance company (esurance) thinking it would be covered by comprehensive insurance. The adjuster tells me that it is covered under collision because the hood collided with the windshield. In addition it is 100% our fault because the "hood was not secured".

So if we file a claim they will raise our rates the same as if my son was in an accident with him at fault. In that case it would be better to not file a claim at all.

I talked to a friend who is an adjuster with another carrier and she said it should definitely be covered by comprehesive because it was wind damage.

I guess I need to read the fine print on my policy but does this seem right? I think I am going to dump esurance either way.

This should be comprehensive according to the information you provided. Get rid of esurance and find a good independent agent. An 800 number or a few clicks may be quicker but as you can see there is a downside.

Always talk to a broker first before talking to a carrier for minor claims like these.

Just because you didn't actually file a claim, the fact that you inquired about it,
means it could be documented as a claim inquiry.

It's comprehensive. There is case law that has found that an object (the vehicle) cannot collide with itself. Read the policy form...it likely says collision means collision with "ANOTHER object." Whether you're at fault has absolutely nothing to do with collision vs. comprehensive, both first-party coverages. It might have something to do with pricing depending on esurance's rates and rules filing with the insurance department.

Agree. It's Comprehensive (AKA Other than collision).

Read the policy to confirm but this is what most auto policies say:

"Collision" means the upset of "your covered
auto" or a "non-owned auto" or their impact
with another vehicle or object.
Loss caused by the following is considered
other than "collision":
1. Missiles or falling objects;
2. Fire;
3. Theft or larceny;
4. Explosion or earthquake;
5. Windstorm;
6. Hail, water or flood;
7. Malicious mischief or vandalism;
8. Riot or civil commotion;
9. Contact with bird or animal; or
10. Breakage of glass.

It is clearly not collision.

I suggest you go up the food chain of the claims department management and if that doesn't work, file a complaint with your state's insurance department.

Always talk to a broker first before talking to a carrier for minor claims like these.

Just because you didn't actually file a claim, the fact that you inquired about it,
means it could be documented as a claim inquiry.

And that company is notorious for turning inquiries into claims

Back