Help - 16 Y/o Son in Accident

INSUREGEEK

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
Ohio
OK, so I know coverage inside and out, and I have been on the body shop side of claims. But I am coming to you as a parent here:

Junior (not really, I just call him that) was involved in what HE claims was a minor accident today. It was raining. He and another car collided in a tight turn. My son's left front to the other car's left rear. No cops were called, but Junior willingly handed over his insurance info without getting any from the other party.

I found out when my insurance carrier's claims dept called me asking about an accident today :err:

Of course, kiddo claims damage to the other car was very minor. Yeah, right!

Under no circumstances do I want this kid talking to an adjuster.

I suppose I can just let this play out? I don't have anyone to call to make a claim against.....and he pretty much already admitted fault, didn't he?? So what point is there in letting him talk? Does anything I have to say carry any weight?

UGH.

I appreciate any insights.

Thanks!

Last edited:
What are you trying to do? seems pretty clear front bumper damage and rear of theirs its your sons fault.

Yeah, what is it you home to accomplish? Your son hit the person in front of him. Baring extenuating circumstances and the other party out right saying they were at fault, it definitely is going to be your son at fault.

Let him tell the adjuster what happened. They are going to want a statement from him, and under the policy there is an obligation to provide one. Unless you think there are injuries to the other party, probably just let it play out. Maybe listen in while your son talks to the adjuster if you are worried.

Rightly, or wrongly, my attitude was that prudence suggested having a teenage driver claim on my insurance records was best avoided if possible.

In the type of situation you described I either did myself, or asked the kid(s), to speak with the other driver and ask them to get a body shop quote for the damage prior to getting the insurance company involved. If I could see how to pay the amounts myself either currently, or by using a credit card over a period of time, I would just have the other party have the damage repaired and send me a copy of the final bill for reimbusement.

I freely admit I made a lot of bad choices as a parent, and that may have been one of them, but it is what I did in the past for those type of situations.

----------

(and in fairness to your son, recognize that with modern vehicles, particularly for someone without any knowledge of current vehicle structures, it is quite difficult to appreciate the amount of potential damage that can be hidden under the facade of a quarter panel or exterior bumper trim.)

Updates and clarifications:

The adjuster spoke to me and denied liability due to the absence of an on scene police report and photo evidence. The guy took a pic of my son's license, but not the damage to the cars. He went to the PD alone and made a report sometime a few days later, but he had called my insurance within 30 minutes of the accident.

The 2 cars were in the middle of a 90 degree turn going in opposite directions. It was raining. Both say the other came into their lane. That easily could have been the case. Or it could have been just one of them. Who knows at this point.

The other party's insurance ultimately totaled their vehicle - an older model jeep.

I didn't want the kids talking immediately after because he assumed it was his fault after the other guy insisted that it was. He felt absolutely terrible and offered up his insurance info, my cell number, and my email without asking for the same in return. Interestingly enough, the other guy didn't even offer his information. I feel like the other guy manipulated my son.

If the other party pursues this again, Junior will have to give a recorded statement. The adjuster feels it will just go away.

Last edited:
Updates and clarifications:

The adjuster spoke to me and denied liability due to the absence of an on scene police report and photo evidence. The guy took a pic of my son's license, but not the damage to the cars. He went to the PD alone and made a report sometime a few days later, but he had called my insurance within 30 minutes of the accident.

The 2 cars were in the middle of a 90 degree turn going in opposite directions. It was raining. Both say the other came into their lane. That easily could have been the case. Or it could have been just one of them. Who knows at this point.

The other party's insurance ultimately totaled their vehicle - an older model jeep.

I didn't want the kids talking immediately after because he assumed it was his fault after the other guy insisted that it was. He felt absolutely terrible and offered up his insurance info, my cell number, and my email without asking for the same in return. Interestingly enough, the other guy didn't even offer his information. I feel like the other guy manipulated my son.

If the other party pursues this again, Junior will have to give a recorded statement. The adjuster feels it will just go away.

How did it go? Its been more than 4 months now..

Thanks ginniferhadley!

The quoted post was from last week. Nothing new to report.

The last thing I needed was a youthful operator with an AFA because he was scared and felt guilty. So far, so good.

I can understand why both companies would deny claims to the other drivers. The statements of both drivers are biased and self serving. Without independent unbiased witnesses the statements are a wash.

You need to teach your son how to act when an accident occurs. He's very likely to have another.

Assuming he's not incapacitated due to a collision here's what he needs to do.

1 - Call police immediately, no matter what. Period.

2 - Keep mouth shut. Period.

3 - Do not move vehicles until police get there. If vehicles are blocking traffic and are movable, take pictures before moving them.

4 through nth - Keep mouth shut.

I agree, adjusterjack. I've been an agent since 1990 and advised MANY clients on these same issues. I also had 2 older kids with accidents. This one panicked despite our lessons on what to do.

Keep in mind that I had no info in the other driver to ever file a claim on my car. That supposed police report never showed up with the county or township where the accident occurred. My insurance's adjuster never received a copy of it either. That was to be the deciding factor on whether or not to entertain any forthcoming subro. Hmmm.

I still say it has worked out better for me so far. Even if he had said nothing and waited on PD, he likely would have gotten the cite because he was 16 and that just how these things seem to work.

Latest posts

Back