Over 150.000 insurance professionals and consumers come to the Insurance Forum every month. Click here to register for FREE

Go Back   Insurance Forums > Insurance Agents and Brokers Forum > Auto Insurance Forum

Reply to Help - Is Car Dealer Telling Me the Truth?     
Old 08-22-2017, 01:18 PM   #1

State: SLMIA is an Insurance Agent from Undisclosed Location
Help - Is Car Dealer Telling Me the Truth? Help - Is Car Dealer Telling Me the Truth?
If trading cars (insured on a commercial auto policy with multiple vehicles) a few weeks before the policy renewal date, is it a problem that the insurance ID card for the new car can only be issued for the time period remaining until the renewal date? The car dealer says the card has to be issued for at least a 45 day period.
Is that true? If so, how do you handle it when someone gets a new vehicle right before their expiration date?
------------------------------------
  Reply With Quote to Help - Is Car Dealer Telling Me the Truth?
Old 08-22-2017, 05:06 PM   #2
Super Genius
adjusterjack on Help - Is Car Dealer Telling Me the Truth?

State: adjusterjack is an Insurance Agent from Arizona
Help - Is Car Dealer Telling Me the Truth? Re: Help - Is Car Dealer Telling Me the Truth?
Define a "few weeks." Two, three, four?

If you can't get your renewal bound a "few weeks" before expiration, then you are stuck with the short term insurance cards with the upcoming expiration date.

As to what the dealer wants, he can want whatever he wants and if you aren't able to give it to him, walk away from the deal.

When his money is walking out the door he will suddenly find that the short term insurance card is acceptable.

Besides, it's not the dealer that is of concern, it's what the lender wants. If you can't satisfy the dealer's lender, find a lender that will accept the short term insurance card.

Or delay the purchase until after your insurance renews and you can get the card with the full policy period.

If you have already made the deal and swapped vehicles, read your purchase and loan contract and see if it says you have to have at least 45 days on the insurance cards. I doubt if you'll find anything like that in there.

As for the title of the thread - car dealers never tell the truth. They are liars and thieves.

Old 08-22-2017, 05:36 PM   #3
djs
Guru

State: djs is an Insurance Agent from California
djs is a member of 5000 posts Super VIP club
Help - Is Car Dealer Telling Me the Truth? Re: Help - Is Car Dealer Telling Me the Truth?
Have your agent create a binder for the coverage. They may need to do 2, one for each policy period.

Problem solved.

Dan
Reply to Help - Is Car Dealer Telling Me the Truth? 

Insurance Agent Forum > Insurance Forums > Insurance Agents and Brokers Forum > Auto Insurance Forum