Hit a Friends Car, Now in a Dilemma

Anxiousgirl

So, I hit my friends car. We were going to settle outside of insurance. However, circumstances unfolded that ended with her car getting towed by the sheriff due to registration issues. I told her I would call my insurance to report it and that she should also call my insurance. I told her that they would at least schedule a time to see the car, assess the damage and cut her a check. However, she decided that she did not want to pursue any insurance claim and said she wasn't going to get her car out of impound because of the fees and other associated costs and wanted to drop it. I have decided to drop it, since she said that's what she wanted do. I don't know her whole situation and don't know why she wants to drop it, except for the fact that it will cost a lot just to get it out and make it legal to drive again. I don't want to cause her any trouble by reporting it to my insurance, that's why I stepped back.

My questions are, say she wants to come back in a few months and try to sue us for the damage to her car, even if she doesn't have it...

1. Can she do that? And how long of a time period can she do it?
2. If she can, will my insurance pay for the damage to her car?
3. Should I get a signed agreement releasing of us from liability? And will that prevent her from being able to sue us?

Thanks in advance. This is such an awkward situation and while I truly feel bad and am upset about it, I need to protect myself as well.

Sounds like she has abandoned the car. If the car has been impounded any length of time it becomes even more unlikely that anything else will happen.

She has to have proof of her insurance and a registration in her name to get it out. Since it was towed for registration issues, I am guessing the car is not registered to her and she can't/won't get the real owner involved. There could be an issue with her getting insurance to get it out. Too expensive, no license etc. Whatever it is, is more expensive than getting it out.

If she wants to drop it, you might want to get something in writing ( notarized preferably). You can tell her you need this so you can drop the claim on your end as well ( blame it on the insurance company).

If she does get the car out in a few months and suddenly decides that she wants you to cover the claim you may have an issue.

Even a signed letter might not 100% guarantee she can't seek recovery from her damages but it might be a good deterrent.

If she wants to drop it, you might want to get something in writing ( notarized preferably). You can tell her you need this so you can drop the claim on your end as well ( blame it on the insurance company).

If she does get the car out in a few months and suddenly decides that she wants you to cover the claim you may have an issue.

Even a signed letter might not 100% guarantee she can't seek recovery from her damages but it might be a good deterrent.

She better have $2-$3,000 or more to get it out if a long storage.

Back