Hit and Run----"Dayum!"

Davis B

Expert
Hi all,

Well, yesterday, i got into an accident---a Hit and Run.

Was east bound on a 4 lane road, (2 each way) with a Grassy - Tree scattered Median splitting the 4 lanes. I was in the far left lane heading east.

A PU vehicle pulling a long trailer passed me on the right...and then pulled over into my lane. He would have made it, but he misjudged and when he pulled over into my lane, "his trailer" collided with my front right corner panel, and pushed me into, over and through the median. Luckily i didn't hit a tree, but i did run over a tree stump and onto the Median.

My right front quarter panel is damaged and the lower left part of my front bumper is bashed in (from where i hit a tree stump). NOW---and GET THIS, the drive of the PU, DIDN'T STOP. I thought he would have but he didn't----just kept on going. I called the police, they made a report.

The car is drive-able, but i'm not sure how the insurance company will handle this.

I live in a "no fault" state---and have full coverage and a low deductible BUT not sure if i should report it or pay out of pocket.---(Its a hit and run, and that's what i told the Cop).

---it happened so quickly and there was really no where else to turn or EVEN STOP the car while someone with a long heavy trailer is smashing your car while moving from lane to lane.
  • Will the insurance company say, "I failed to control the vehicle?"
  • Can the insurance company deny me coverage by claiming i failed to control my vehicle? (i live in a no fault state).
  • Would it be best to pay out of pocket and not report the accident?

Your opinions and thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much....

From what you describe, its a very legit claim. It also sounds like the damage is reasonably significant.

Report the claim to your carrier, have them pay for the repairs. You will pay your deductible, but your car will be fixed.

No, they won't deny the claim for failure to control the vehicle. If they did, they would deny 80%+ of claims since that is at least contributory to almost all accidents.

Dan

The damage to your vehicle may be much more significant than you realize. You may have bent suspension components also from hitting the stump. Sounds to me like a pretty expensive repair.

Back