Hit And Run: Driver Side View Mirror

mileena

Expert
Hi, I was driving in west Philadelphia way back in the winter of 2000-01. I was on a one-way street with three major travel lanes going west (Walnut Street). I was in the middle lane and another car was in the left lane. It was snowing and very dangerous, so everyone was going slower. Some *** decided to pass both of us and squeezed to the left of the car in the left lane. In doing, he hit the driver who was legally in the left-hand lane, who in turn hit me in the middle lane. As a result, I had a broken driver side-view mirror, which dangled down (the plastic molding cracked as the mirror was not break-away--the mirror hung by only two metal springs). Both cars kept going. I flashed to driver who hit me and she pulled over, as well as a car behind us who witnessed everything. She was not damaged. The bad car who caused the whole accident was speeding and got away so I don't know if there was any damage.

Actually, I did not even realize a hit-and-run had occurred until the driver in the left-hand lane and the witness in the other car pulled over and told me what had happened. I had seen a car speeding but I did not realize that it hit her; I only knew that she hit me. I said I still wanted her info since my driver side-view mirror had broken off and I wanted to file a claim. I only had liability and uninsured motorist, not collision. But the witnessed intervened and said forget it, since she was not at fault, since the hit-n-run driver hit her which caused her to hit me and break my mirror. He said the hit-n-run driver was the one who was at fault, and her insurance would deny me. So I said ok and we all shook hands and drove away. I did not file any claim with my insurance but was pulled over a few years later by the police in NJ for a broken driver side-view mirror that was dangling. I was angry since the mirror was not my fault. I had tried super-gluing the molding, but it didn't work, as the weight of the mirror and housing was too strong to hold up to the car.

In retrospect, should I have filed a claim with the other driver's liability, since she technically hit me (even though she was pushed)?? Should I have filed a claim for hit-n-run with my uninsured motorist coverage (if Pennsylvania even allowed it)?? Even though it occurred in 2000-01 when I was in Philadelphia, I am still a little angry today. How much would it have cost me to fix my mirrror? It was a 1991 Chevy Cavalier.

Thanks!

Last edited:
In retrospect, should I have filed a claim with the other driver's liability, since she technically hit me (even though she was pushed)?? Should I have filed a claim for hit-n-run with my uninsured motorist coverage
Thanks!

Yes you should have filed the claim on her policy. Then if there was problems it could have fallen back on the UM coverage.
Even though it occurred in 2000-01 when I was in Philadelphia, I am still a little angry today. How much would it have cost me to fix my mirror? It was a 1991 Chevy Cavalier.

Are you serious! :swoon:

Thanks. I was stupid not to file the claim, but at least I don't drive a Cavalier anymore!

Oh, this is wrong on so many levels.
Why bring this up today?
Time to move on....

Dan

I am sorry, I am too busy consoling a client who's spouse passed away from a Heart attack to deal with your trival 10 year old bullshit

Mileena, just get over it! way too much time has passed. As they say in legal circles, the doctrine of "latches" applies.

To use the vernacular of the street, mileena, you situtaion is "tough $hit!"

Last edited:
Mileena, Seeing you are from ALA DUMBASS BAMA, I now see why you still haven't fixed your ten dollar mirror on your POS car!
I sure hope your post is a joke, cause if it is not, I am dumber for reading it.

Back