Hit and Run

sp2498

Recently i had an accident which was a hit and run, the other car owner didn't stopped the car after hitting and drove straight away. I called the cops and lodged a complaint. Unfortunately i didn't get a chance to make a note of the car license number or any other information regarding the car as i was looking for a place to park. It was a major accident. I called up my insurance and they said that as they dont have the other car insurance information, i have to bear my deductible which is 500$ and the remaining will be paid by the insurance. Paying 500$ from my pocket will be difficult for me to bear.

Is ther any way i can claim the whole amount.

Please suggest!

Thanks in advance.

Depends on the state and your coverages.

In most states, no, there is no way around paying the $500 deductible.

Dan

I had a similar experience. You have to pay the $500 if you didn't get the other drivers info. IF the criminal is caught, the insurance company will then go after him and you may get your money back... that is if the other driver had insurance or if he pays up. This could take months or even years.

In my case, I snapped a photo of the other driver's plates & filed a police report. I called the claim in to my insurance company & gave them the plate numbers. Surprisingly the other driver had the same insurance company. His policy ended up paying in full & I didn't have to pay my deductible.

I wouldn't rely on your local law enforcement to do anything or to find the guy if there was no bodily injury. They are pretty much useless.

Back