Hitting Your Own Car

missangie

What if an insured has two cars under their family auto policy, and one car hits the other, while pulling out of their driveway?
Would they have to pay the collision deductible for both cars, or just one?
I'm wondering if there is a general consensus on this? because I'm hearing different things from different people.

The deductible applies separately to each car and the claims department will laugh at you.

Since you are a woman, I'm guessing you hit your husband's car.

Rick

The deductible applies separately to each car and the claims department will laugh at you.

Since you are a woman, I'm guessing you hit your husband's car.

Rick
LOL actually no, I'm a woman and a great driver, tyvm. I was asking for a client of mine. She said she talked to an Allstate agent who said "its common sense that you only have to pay the deductible once".
I actually completely agree with you that you have to pay separately, but since she heard different from another agent, I wanted to hear some more opinions.

LOL actually no, I'm a woman and a great driver, tyvm. I was asking for a client of mine. She said she talked to an Allstate agent who said "its common sense that you only have to pay the deductible once".
I actually completely agree with you that you have to pay separately, but since she heard different from another agent, I wanted to hear some more opinions.

I think this would be like any other accident. The driver who was at fault will be hit with the deductible and the other vehicle would not be subject to a deductible. Now I am not a P&C agent so I may be wrong but that is the way it would work if two different insured were involved.

I think this would be like any other accident. The driver who was at fault will be hit with the deductible and the other vehicle would not be subject to a deductible. Now I am not a P&C agent so I may be wrong but that is the way it would work if two different insured were involved.

Aren't there threads on exactly this? What I recall from them, it is basically treated like a collision claim on both vehicles and you have to pay both deductibles. What they want to prevent is you from wrecking your car with liability only using your car with full coverage.

I sell Farmers Insurance and had a client back into her husbands new car in the driveway. Yes, two deductibles must be met to have both vehicles repaired. As it stands now, hubby's car get fixed first the mini van gets fixed later. :goofy:

If I were you I would definitely review my auto insurance policy contract and/or call my insurer to make it clear. :-)

------

Many agents will get this question wrong, especially if they have multiple carriers. You need to read the policy and then probably will need to read it to the claims person.

These happen more often than you realize, though usually with very minor damage and they don't get reported (mostly out of embarrasment I imagine). Every policy treats this a bit different, so it is time to read.

Ownership of both cars is unique, there is always language to prevent betterment problems (or as hinted at above, attempts at fraud).

Now, what happens when you drive your car through your own house????

Dan

I've hit my own car two different times. I didn't file a claim either time. Didn't hit it hard enough to really hurt it. I was backing up both times and I just didnt look good enough.

Haha!! Allstate comes through again!! NOT!

Back