How to Handle this Parking Lot Incident

You did nothing wrong, you are very welcome to post here.

You are asking for guidance from experts, who, gain nothing from providing the advice. Usually insurance agents are compensated based on providing policies to their clients and then helping those clients with questions. Buying online sometimes seems practical, but you lose out on the 'advice' part.

Its sort of like buying lunch at McDonalds, but then asking the waiter at AbbleBee's to refill your soda for you, except, here, we'll actually refill it for you, but want you to understand the bigger picture at the same time.

Dan

Not my agent. He is an independent and will not report a claim unless I instruct him to. As far as he is concerned the fewer claims the better.

Xrac, it sounds like you have a pretty great agent.

----------

Umm...wow. I guess I didn't realize that I should have an agent to be on here. I searched for insurance forums to get guidance from others in the world. I looked at the rules; and it didn't state I had to have a company with an agent to post on here.
The company I use doesn't have local agents. It isn't an option. And I got quotes from other agencies that were much more, so I went with the affordable, reputable option.

I'm sorry if I caused any problems or did something wrong.................................

I'm just curious, do you know why the other agencies were much more? Did you just look at premium amounts and choose? Did you email the direct quote to any of the agents to get their input/advice? My guess is there are a couple of reasons the quotes were greatly different.

Like DJS mentioned, the advice/experience of your agent is also what you are paying for when you have a local agent. While insurance companies only have themselves to blame, it is that mind set of, "...but it's cheaper online" or that insurance is a commodity...UNTIL you have a claim. Then insureds' suddenly want an agent OR a different agent.

Please keep that in mind at your next renewal and reach back out to a few of those local agents.

Xrac, it sounds like you have a pretty great agent.

----------

I'm just curious, do you know why the other agencies were much more? Did you just look at premium amounts and choose? Did you email the direct quote to any of the agents to get their input/advice? My guess is there are a couple of reasons the quotes were greatly different.

Like DJS mentioned, the advice/experience of your agent is also what you are paying for when you have a local agent. While insurance companies only have themselves to blame, it is that mind set of, "...but it's cheaper online" or that insurance is a commodity...UNTIL you have a claim. Then insureds' suddenly want an agent OR a different agent.

Please keep that in mind at your next renewal and reach back out to a few of those local agents.

Thank you, and I will.
I also received quotes from other "online only" insurers/carriers that were much more, so I did compare many options. :) I also didn't want any fly-by-night company. So I chose one that was well known, and was competitive.

My agent shops my rates for me. If we have problems with my current company or rates go up we can switch. He wants to keep my business even if the company doesn't. Actually some of the better know companies such as Allstate or a State Farm or a Geico can be harder to work with. Currently I am insured with Pekin which is a great company, low rates, and most people haven't heard of them.

Its called you get what you pay for. Next time call around I know there are agents out there that can get you good coverage at a good price or they would not be in business.

I appreciate the responses and assistance.

Those of us that don't work directly with an agent are people, too. I came to this forum not realizing that the majority of the audience are Agents, and a seemingly snarky response caught me completely off guard and I felt terrible posting in the "wrong place" since I don't have a policy with an agent. I sincerely appreciate the responses/guidance I've received.

Many of us out there may be uninformed of the exact benefits of working directly with an agent for Auto policies... and since both options are readily available I can't say the "norm" is to work with an agent for auto insurance. For whatever reason it is for home insurance, and medical insurance. Anyway, I appreciate the information.

Thank you for the education, and guidance.

Princess we are delighted that you chose to stop in and we are more than happy to offer help. Many of us just believe having an agent you are personally acquainted with is a great advantage. If I have any insurance related issue I call him up for advice or action. He is at my beck and call. I like that. I hate waiting on hold or navigating the voice mail hell of online companies.

Last edited:
Only if your agent goes and reports it to the company make sure he doesn't do it !! (Maybe if he's allstate or any captive agent they'll more likely tell the company)

Why would bring a captive agent mean that they're more likely to tell the company. The agent doesn't want the loss on his books. I always I advise people to get an estimate so that they can make the most informed decision. I work at a captive agency and I can't even tell you how many times I've stopped people from filing claims under 500, when they have 500$ deductibles.

----------

Ok.. Well, I do not have an agent. I purchase and renew my policy with one of the well-known carriers directly/automatically. I have been a policy holder with them for nearly 3 years. So what I am gathering then is... do not call. If the other guy gets us involved then we will have to deal with it then. With that said.. if we don't call the carrier because I am not doing a claim, and then they find out and call us to address it- would there be any adverse effects on our policy?

Well there's your problem. Now you know that insurance is not a hobby. Lesson learned hopefully.

Back