How Important is VIN Data for Your Direct Marketing Efforts?

Josh

Guru
5000 Post Club
I've worked with a lot of agents that utilize cold calling and direct mail for their lead generation efforts. Some care about credit or property value, but how useful is having vehicle information when it comes to marketing auto insurance to consumers?

if we can get a name birthdate address and drivers license, we can run all the reports we need, some carriers, on the prior insurance report, give us the VIN number, so its partially not too terribly important for marketing, but then it will depend on what kind of marketing you are doing

I've worked with a lot of agents that utilize cold calling and direct mail for their lead generation efforts. Some care about credit or property value, but how useful is having vehicle information when it comes to marketing auto insurance to consumers?

I have a carrier that pulls the all the VIN's in the household if you have the correct name and address which helps a lot. I would be a bit lost without it.

I think having a full and complete VIN is important. Partial VINs do not allow an agent to present a realistic price. I don't want to be accused of bait and switch.

I got a lead at an agency I was working at for a Subaru with partial VIN. The customer said his rate went up and was shopping. He calls a month later and wants to bind the policy. I entered the complete VIN and the price doubled. The complete VIN uncovered the fact the car was a turbo-charged sports car not a humble little greenie grocery getter. I didn't get the sale.

If I buy leads I want the most complete information possible so I can give them an accurate price. Some might disagree, they want to lowball the quote to spark interest and a callback.

Back